When is support for Geometric Networks coming in ArcGIS Pro?

03-19-2015 09:37 AM
RobertThomson
Occasional Contributor II

Most of my content is in the Local Government Model as Geometric Networks so until this feature is added my use of Pro will have to be minimal.

Tags (1)
13 Replies
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Robert,

You can view and query geometric networks within ArcGIS Pro as you probably know, but you cannot edit or trace against them.  We are working on these capabilities for a future release of ArcGIS Pro.  Our target at this is the fall release of ArcGIS Pro or 1.2.

As ArcGIS Pro is a new application with many new concepts for working with your data, we are also exploring new ways for managing networks.  More information on our plans for working with networks in ArcGIS Pro will be made available in the coming months.

Thanks,

Larry Young
Esri Product Management

MikeLouwrens
Occasional Contributor III

Larry Young​, Any update on Geometric Networks with ArcGIS Pro?  1.3 has arrived on my PC this morning and I still can't see any mention of Geometric Networks in there.  Am I missing it somehow?

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Mike,

Wow, that post of mine from March, 2015 is a little depressing.  Reminds me of how far behind we are with this project.

As presented at the UC in San Diego last week (and at various other conferences), we are working on new technology called the utility network. The utility network is part of a larger project referred to as the network management project.  The vision for this project has two main components.  The first is to make the capabilities of the network available across the entire platform.  This means you would be able to view, query, edit, and trace regardless of whether you are on the desktop, a mobile device, or the web.  The second component is to provide the ability for a better real world representation of what is on the ground within the GIS.  The main purpose of that is to allow better analysis directly within the GIS and to make it easier to move data into other mission critical systems such as OMS, DMS, modeling packages, etc. 

The utility network and other components of the network management project are currently scheduled to go into beta later this year on top of ArcGIS 10.5 and ArcGIS Pro 1.4.  The first release would follow next year on top of the next releases of ArcGIS and ArcGIS Pro.  The initial client for the utility network will be ArcGIS Pro, but all of the capabilities will be delivered through services, so mobile and web support will follow.

To be clear, support for editing and tracing of the geometric network will continue within ArcMap.  Support for the utility network (editing, tracing, etc.) on desktop will be through ArcGIS Pro.

Hopefully that answers your question.

thanks, larry

ThomasKonzel
Occasional Contributor

Good morning lyoung-esristaff,

Any update to networks capabilities in pro 1.4 or subsequent versions?

Tom K.

MikeLouwrens

It doesn't look promising Thomas Konzel‌, the geometric network tools are all listed as unavailable in Tools that are not available in ArcGIS Pro. I've been asking since the first release, and each time I've asked I've been told it will be the next release, but still waiting...

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
PhillipSherman1
New Contributor III

Any update to this, Larry Young? We upgraded to 1.4 Pro and still have no ability to edit features within a geometric network. This is pretty basic functionality that needs to be included or else Pro is of no real value for us.

0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi All,

As mentioned in my last post in July of 2016, the plan was (and still is) to have a beta of the new Utility Network on top of ArcGIS 10.5 and ArcGIS Pro 1.4.  We are in the process of wrapping up that beta now and expect to have it available through the early adopter site (https://earlyadopter.esri.com/home.html) within a few weeks.  To be eligible for the beta you will need to go through the apply process on the early adopter site once the beta is available.

For more information on the Utility Network and the Network Management Project as a whole, you can download a white paper on the subject from this location: Esri Utility Network Pro.  From this location you can also sign up to receive notification when the beta of the Utility Network is available.

We are planning on the initial release of the Utility Network with ArcGIS 10.6 and ArcGIS Pro 2.1 at the end of 2017.

At this point, there are no plans to support editing of the geometric network with ArcGIS Pro.  The management of utility and telecom networks with ArcGIS Pro will be through the new Utility Network once released.

Larry Young

Esri Product Management

0 Kudos
MikeLouwrens
At this point, there are no plans to support editing of the geometric network with ArcGIS Pro.  The management of utility and telecom networks with ArcGIS Pro will be through the new Utility Network once released.

lyoung-esristaff‌ I don't understand this statement.  Can you elaborate please?  I understand there is a new framework for utility networks, but is this completely replacing our old geometric network (we just upgrade it) or is it something completely new that we have to set up and remove the old geometric networks?  That, for many utilities, will be a HUGE task and possibly delay people moving to ArcGIS Pro even longer.  I haven't moved due to the lack of support for Geometric Networks (working in water asset management, that's all I do in ArcMap).  I guess we'll be delaying it even longer yet.

Cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Mike, 

The Utility Network is part of the greater Network Management project and is something new.  The white paper referenced above can help to explain.  Users will need to load their data into the Utility Network, you cannot just upgrade your existing geometric network.  With the initial release we will provide some tools to help in the process of moving forward.

The purpose of the Network Management project is to give utilities and telecoms technology to take them through the next 15+ years of asset management with ArcGIS.  The Utility Network will give users the ability to view, query, edit, and analyze the network from any supported device, as well as support a better real world representation of what is on the ground within the GIS.  The white paper outlines many of the other new capabilities you will have the Utility Network.

ArcGIS Pro will be the first client for the utility network, with support through the runtime SDK, web APIs, mobile apps, etc., following in subsequent releases.

Thanks, Larry