Poly line with Z coordinate to Raster

03-23-2015 03:38 PM
ChristopherClark1
Occasional Contributor

Does using the Polyline to Raster work for this? This tool asks for a Value FIeld, and I am not sure what to put for this.....

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Christopher,

More details would be appreciated. Why are you converting Polyline to raster? What do the polylines represent?

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
ChristopherClark1
Occasional Contributor

Objective: Obtain estimates of Gradient along a stream. Gradient is defined as the Rise in elevation divided by the length.

I used a trimble GPS unit to walk along the edge of a stream while logging a line feature. I then exported this line feature to ArcGIS shape file, and then converted that into a File Geodatabase feature class. These polylines have zm coordinates, so I know they have elevation data.

I have a set of points, that define segments of the line I collected. I thought if I can turn my polyline into a raster, I can then use the Extract Values with points tool to extract the elevation data from the raster with my points feature class. This would then allow me to calculate the change in elevation for that segment.

Does this help?

0 Kudos
VictorKlinkenberg
New Contributor III

Hi Christopher,

Do you have separate line segments of which you need slope information? You could use "calculate field" for this in the table view of your feature class. Calculate Length, and elevation difference (Min Z / Max Z) of each segment and then calculate slope by dividing elevation difference by length.

Hope this helps.

Victor

0 Kudos
KishorGhatage
Occasional Contributor III

As suggested by the Victor you can calculate min z / max x and then use spatial join tool to add these values in the point feature class.

or

You can try using topo to raster tool and generate a raster surface using polylines. Then you can use Extract values to points. I am not sure how much topo to raster will help in this case however you can give a try.

Hope this is helpful

Kishor

0 Kudos