ArcGIS Pro--custom highway shield symbol

04-01-2015 06:39 AM
RachaelChasse
Occasional Contributor

Has anybody discovered if it is possible to create a custom highway shield symbol in ArcGIS Pro?  I have done this in ArcMap but don't see any way to do this from the Pro application.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YovavZohar1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Rachel,

As far as I know, There's no easy way to do that currently.

In future, ESRI will issue thematic stylx files, that will probably include road signs and you will be able to choose from them as a Point Background for the road Number label.

In the meanwhile, you could try one of the following workarounds that might work (or combining them):

1. Import an ArcMap Document or use lyr file in which there's a preset label for the layer.
  2. Define a point symbol in the Project's Favorites Style for a point layer that symbolize your road sign background (Create new style item). After that you would be able to use it as your labels background (based on point symbol callout).
  3. Import the symbol from an ArcMap style file (from the "Style" group in the Insert Tab on the ribbon)

good luck,

Yovav Z.

BrandonFlessner
Occasional Contributor

What you want to do is start with a point layer, and edit the point symbol. You can find some starter styles by clicking the "Style..." button. Make you edits. Then save that symbol to a style (use the burger button on the top right next to 'Format Point Symbol'. 

Once saved, the symbol will be available for use as a callout point symbol. Click the dropdown with the shield in the image below, then click 'more point symbols' and you'll see your saved symbols.

ChrisWiebke
Occasional Contributor

Format Point Symbol using saved image fileSave Symbol to Style

1. I used GIMP (free image processing software, as i do not have a license for any image processing software) to create an image. 

2. Format a point feature class symbol

3 Save the Point Feature Class Symbol to a style

0 Kudos