help with uploading photos

Jump to solution
04-01-2015 08:30 AM
KyleWalsh1
New Contributor II

I am very new to GIS and frustrated with step one on story maps--how do I upload photos to our organizational acct and access them from the map tour builder?  The tutorial is pretty non-intuitive to me.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Stacey,

Sorry you are having trouble with the map tour. Here's some help to get you started.

If you choose the option to upload your photos to ArcGIS Online you'll then be prompted to enter a name for the feature service that the map tour builder will create for you...

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 4.26.36 PM.JPG

A few seconds after you click Create the service you will see the Map Tour Builder. Just click the Add button at the bottom of the builder to add a new tour point...

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 4.28.33 PM.JPG

...and you'll be prompted to browse to your photo (or you can simply drag it into the Media panel).

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 4.26.09 PM.JPG

Once you finish adding the Information and Location for the first tour point on the other two tabs you can click Add tour point and the photo will be uploaded to the feature service as an attachment. Repeat as needed to add all your tour points.

I hope this is helpful!

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Stacey,

Sorry you are having trouble with the map tour. Here's some help to get you started.

If you choose the option to upload your photos to ArcGIS Online you'll then be prompted to enter a name for the feature service that the map tour builder will create for you...

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 4.26.36 PM.JPG

A few seconds after you click Create the service you will see the Map Tour Builder. Just click the Add button at the bottom of the builder to add a new tour point...

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 4.28.33 PM.JPG

...and you'll be prompted to browse to your photo (or you can simply drag it into the Media panel).

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 4.26.09 PM.JPG

Once you finish adding the Information and Location for the first tour point on the other two tabs you can click Add tour point and the photo will be uploaded to the feature service as an attachment. Repeat as needed to add all your tour points.

I hope this is helpful!

Owen Evans
KyleWalsh1
New Contributor II

Thanks much Owen, I solved it 5 minutes after asking, of course!  Next frustration is that there is no option to make a legend for the different colors of pins.  I see that this was addressed elsewhere in the thread and will try to decipher coding for it, but certainly seems that it should be added in as an option.  Again, thanks for the quick response.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Stacey -- glad you figured out your issue! Regarding the legend, if the other method you found doesn't work for you, I have used the tactic of simply adding information to my app subtitle to explain the pin colors. See this example

Owen Evans