TAB-separated values in tcp-text-in

04-14-2015 08:25 AM
ErikLanhammar
Esri Contributor

Hello all,

Have anyone had any luck using TAB-separated attribute values into a tcp-text-in input connector?! I have tried '\t' and '\u0008' as attribute separator in the input connector without success.

Im using a simple simulation csv-file loaded into the simulation tool like this:

TABBER     "A"     "B"     "C"     "D"

TABBER     "E"     "F"     "G"     "H"

...and a simple geoevent service like this:

tcp-text-in ---> tcp-text-out

Result is...nothing but two geoevent definitions created:

TABBER"A"B"C"D     No Fields found.

TABBER"E"F"G"H     No Fields found.

Any ideas?

/Erik

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Erik -

I suspect, from testing I’ve conducted, that the issue has something to do with the GeoEvent Simulator. I say this because I can drag/drop the same file I'm loading into the GeoEvent Simulator to a system folder being watched for CSV input and the Text adapter being used by both inbound connectors honors a specified Attribute Separator \u0009 (unicode value for <tab>) where as event data sent from the GeoEvent Simulator does not.

For my test, I configured a tcp-text-in input:

• To create a GeoEvent Definition based on delimited data it receives
  • Specifying an Attribute Separator as either \t or \u0009

… the event definition created by the input had only one event field, suggesting the attribute separator was not recognized

Capture.png

However, if I configure a file-csv-in input with similar specifications .. the event definition created has the expected fields:

Capture.png

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've submitted an issue to investigate the GeoEvent Simulator's handling of the tab delimited data. It's interesting that changing <tab> to semi-colon (;) in the input and specifying \u003B as the attribute separator works for both the GeoEvent Simulator and System File inputs. I suspect that the <tab> characters are being treated as some special form of whitespace by the Simulator.

- RJ

RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Erik -

We are making enhancements to the GeoEvent Simulator which should support the loading and simulation of data which uses <tab> characters to separate the different fields in an event. Please send an e-mail to the team alias geoevent@esri.com and request the Simulator update if you want to help test it out.

- RJ

ErikLanhammar
Esri Contributor

Thanks RJ, I sent the request.

/Erik

0 Kudos