AGSE 1500 closes with serious application error when opening kml/kmz file

10-15-2010 12:55 PM
JeffSchloss
New Contributor III
I'm trying to open a .kmz file saved from
http://www.epa.gov/renewableenergyland/maps/epa_renewable_energy_sites.kmz
using ESRI's ArcGIS Explorer build 1500 but keep getting errors whether I am using 2d or 3d display mode.

When I add the .kmz file to ArcGIS Explorer, it appears in the contents window but no features appear.  When I click on it in the table of contents in an attempt to "go to" the data, ArcGIS Explorer closes with the message "ArcGIS Explorer has encountered a serious application error and is unable to continue."

If I unzip the .kmz file and add the resultant .kml file to ArcGIS Explorer, I get the same results.

Can anyone point me to documentation about kml/kmz file errors?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

The KML is initially added to the Contents Window but there's obviously an error either within the KML file or with our reading/interpretation of that KML file. I'll pass it on to the KML team for them to take a look at.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

We've taken a look at the KML - it seems that the complexity of the file means it simply consumes a lot of memory, whether you try it in Google Earth or ArcGIS Explorer. What you'll need to do (even to make the file useable in Google Earth too) is split out the single monolithic KML file into some individual KML files which you can add to get at the data you really want.

We've done this here to test it works - I could email them to you if you want to email me on mbranscomb@esri.com (the zip files are too large to upload on the forums).

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
JeffSchloss
New Contributor III
Just to follow up on this thread I want to tell the rest of this story.  An ESRI customer account representative came to my aid by bringing some attention and investigative efforts to this issue.  Turns out the kmz file is version 2.2 which is not fully supported and it used BalloonStyle callouts which are not yet supported.  On my behalf, the representative requested that the AGSE team add this support in the next release of AGSE.  Next, Michael Branscomb provided me with kml files that ESRI created from the original kmz.  When I still had problems with those files, he managed to get someone from their kml team to process the files again which now work wonderfully in AGSE with all the functionality of the original kmz file.  While I know it's not a level of support I or anyone can expect every time, in this case ESRI did an exceptional job of helping me.

The answer to my original question is that kml support is documented at http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00s200000005000000.htm
0 Kudos