Collector - Multiple Offline Maps

04-16-2015 04:38 AM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  I'm new to Collector and I have a couple of questions that I hope aren't too stupid and someone can help with:

1.We have folks who do field data collection in many areas of the state in a day without internet connections in between - is it possible to create multiple offline maps on a mobile device using the same AGOL hosted web map?

2. When creating the work area for an offline map, are there ways to set it up so users can more easily navigate to areas on the map?  Our data is statewide so navigating to a small work area can be time consuming as it doesn't appear you can do anything but pan and zoom when selecting the work area.

Thanks,
Mary Ellen

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

I think with 1 you have only really have one option - try taking the whole state offline? Depending on the size of the data and your connection this could be feasible, not feasible (e.g. take ages) or you'll get some errors.

Better control of offline mode - multiple areas, different shapes, bookmarks, etc - is a great suggestion.

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko

Thanks for the suggestion regarding my first question.  But, am I missing something in Collector?  It appears that when I download a work area for offline editing, I'm stuck at the scale.

Thanks,
Mary Ellen

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

As far as I know, the scale you can go to is dependent on the scales available in the basemap you're using.

If you copy a tile package to your device for offline use which has images inside for 1:1,000,000 scale, you'll only be able to use the map at 1:1,000,000. If the tile package has multiple scales, you'll be able to zoom in and out to those scales.

If you choose an online basemap to take offline, then you need to choose the level of detail after you choose the work area. Then I think you won't be able to zoom in past your chosen level of detail.

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko

Thank you.  That's starting to make sense.  I'm doing the 2nd scenario as that's all I have.  The 1st scenario is not going to be easy.  And may not be possible due to the size, level of detail, and randomness of work areas.  But, definitely worth thinking about.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos