Find Closest Facilities - Won't Recognize Network File?

Jump to solution
04-16-2015 07:06 AM
Labels (1)
BradRennick
New Contributor II

I'm trying to use the Find Closest Facilities tool to determine what the closest barrier to fish passage is compared to some sampling locations.  I have a waterflow layer that is a proper geometric network but the tool won't recognize the layer as a network dataset; it shows my geodatabase as empty.  Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One thing to check is to confirm that it is a Network Analyst Dataset, not a geometric network of other types.  Go into ArcCatalog and look to see if you have two files like the ones below.  If not, I'm pretty sure you will have to create one (but have not used other Geometric Networks much, so am not 100% sure on this).

network_analyst.jpg

Also, here's a past post from GeoNet that draws some distinctions between Geometric Networks and how Network Analyst interacts with them.

network analyst extension vs. geometric networks?

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just to confirm, you specifically created a new Network Dataset for this?  Or are you using a pre-existing Network Dataset?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
BradRennick
New Contributor II

It was a pre-existing waterflow network (albeit very new)

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One thing to check is to confirm that it is a Network Analyst Dataset, not a geometric network of other types.  Go into ArcCatalog and look to see if you have two files like the ones below.  If not, I'm pretty sure you will have to create one (but have not used other Geometric Networks much, so am not 100% sure on this).

network_analyst.jpg

Also, here's a past post from GeoNet that draws some distinctions between Geometric Networks and how Network Analyst interacts with them.

network analyst extension vs. geometric networks?

Chris Donohue, GISP

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Also, if you are new to Network Analyst, this tutorial may help in understanding the workflows.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2F...

Chris Donohue, GISP

MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

A geometric network isn't the same thing as a network dataset.  Geometric networks are usually used for utilities (power, water, etc.), whereas the network dataset is specifically for roads and used in the Network Analyst extension.  Could that be the problem?

BradRennick
New Contributor II

Thanks everyone, I think that's the issue.