Hardware: i7 vs Xeon with ArcGIS 10.3 Desktop / ArcGIS Pro

04-20-2015 05:58 PM
MalcolmNunn
New Contributor II

Hi all

When faced with the question of what hardware configuration to purchase for GIS work primarily using ArcGIS Desktop previously I've gone for an i7 with a slightly higher clock-speed rather than the more expensive workstation processors, since ArcGIS Desktop has been a single-threaded application.

I'm looking at this again currently with a view to upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3 with ArcGIS Pro and wondering if the new versions and future development directions means that a Xeon (albeit with a slightly lower clock-speed) would be better suited as a system upgrade now?

Cheers

Mal

0 Kudos
2 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Well, as always it comes down to money. The count of processor cores, CPU clock speed, and memory bus will control things. Naturally, GPU will need to be a discrete PCI-e offering from nVidia or ATM--lots of choice there, but don't bother with multiple card setups (SLI or Crossfire). And you'll want to throw SSDs at it--m.2 or 2.5" SATA III.

You'll definitely want an Intel 2011-3 socketed CPU, with quad channel DDR4 memory, and either X99 or C610/C612--but for my money the Haswell 5930K Core i7 Extreme w/X99 at $583 looks a to be better bet than the comparable Haswell E5 Xeon 1650 v3 w/C610/C612, also $583 for a single socketed Xeon build.

The 2011-3 socket requires the X99/C610/C612 Platform Controller Chip (PCH) set.  But, you will pay though the nose if you go to a dual socketed MB and a pair of Xeon E-5 26xx v3 CPUs.

If you are building it in house, go with the X99 MB and a 5930K and an eight (8) count of RAM slots on MB, and invest the savings in memory and good 3D GPU card--ArcGIS Pro and City Engine will thrive on it.  Desktop 10.3 will of course do fine.

If you are buying a preconfigured system(s), then HPs Z800 or IBM P500 Thinkstation lines will have what you need, just be prepared for sticker shock.  Solid offerings from SuperMicro.com are likely more palatable.

Stuart

0 Kudos
PeterEick
New Contributor

I am a new learning user and found that my mapping requirements forced me out of 10.3 up to Pro.  Just playing around and learning, I have used as much as 30 gigs of chip memory on my 32 Gig Alienware 17r3.  The 980m graphics card gets a real workout with 3D imaging and getting 8 gigs of memory on the card was a great idea.  

I have been impressed at how well 64 bit GIS Pro handles lots of memory, multiple cores and a fast graphics card.  I have pushed my machine pretty much to its limits with GIS Pro and it performed really well.

My recommendation is the usual if you are going to jump to GIS Pro, fast graphics card, fast CPU and lots and lots of memory.  I don't regret basically maxing out my Alienware 17 at all.  At the same time, ArcMap 10.4.1 never taxed the multiple cores, never used all the memory, never hit the graphics card hard and would crash a lot with memory faults.  Put the same project in ArcGIS Pro and it just runs away with it and redraws are very impressive.

0 Kudos