Arcpad 10 check in issues

04-21-2015 06:02 AM
MissySikes
New Contributor II

Good Morning Guys,

I am trying to maps some points with my trimble unit. I have exported the data for the layer I need as an editable background data (shp File).

My problem is when I try to check in it tells me to choose the afx files and I have nothing there? Am I doing this wrong?? I haven't used the arcpad much and am so lost as to how to get my points back into the map.

~Missy S.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Missy,

Did you use the ArcPad Data Manager toolbar in ArcMap to prepare the data? If you didn't and you still have time you may want to check it out. The toolbar has a "Get Data For ArcPad" tool which prepares all of the files in a new folder which you can copy to your Trimble unit. The tool creates an APM (ArcPad Map file) and AXF (ArcPad's version of a geodatabase). It also has a "Get Data From ArcPad" which you use to synchronize the edits you made in the field back to the original source. Hope this helps and good luck!

ArcPad Toolbar.png

MissySikes
New Contributor II

I have used that tool bar. If I check out the data as afx will it check it back in as afx?

0 Kudos
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

The ArcPad toolbar always checks out to an AXF file with an associated APM. When edits are made in ArcPad on the Trimble unit the updates apply to that AXF. If you still have the unit search for that AXF file and copy it locally. Open ArcMap and select Get Data From ArcPad, it will ask you for the AXF, once you select the AXF it will apply the edits back to the geodatabase or shapefile that you originally checked out from. The AXF contains the information about what it was created from, where that resides, and when it was created. Is that helpful? Also, if you deleted or don't have the original geodatabase or shapefile you can still get the content out. Let me know if you need more help.

TravisBugg1
New Contributor III

Hi Missy,

Since you checked out your data as a shapefile, you will not be able to check it back in. You can, however, manually copy the shapefile from your GPS unit to your computer and then open the shapefile in ArcMap. Like Ben has said, if you'd like to use the Check-in function, then you'll need to check out your data as an editable AXF layer. You will then be able to choose that AXF file during the check-in process. Shapefiles are not supported for check-in, however in ArcPad 10.

deleted-user-rvR_EQyWNgH6
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for that answer! I have spent a few hours trying to figure out why ArcPad Data Manger couldn't find the axf! This is for data on a new project I am taking over--Travis, would you know the benefits/drawbacks of using shapefiles over axf. 

Thanks Again!

0 Kudos