How do you change to a custom basemap?

Jump to solution
04-27-2015 09:41 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Is there a way to change the basemap to one different than the default ones?  I was interested in creating a web app for my cemetery.  Trouble is the default basemaps won't let you zoom in beyone 1:1128 (or may 1:564).  My application needs to go down to about 1:50.  The basemap isn't exactly important at that scale but I did create a basemap for the app for my FlexViewer and it works fine.  I would love to explore the Web AppBuilder functionality in order to move to a mobile friendly web application. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Josh,

There are a few ways in which you can do this:

Customize Your Basemap in ArcGIS Online | ArcWatch

You can also configure the basemap gallery to your own basemaps that you've added to a Group within ArcGIS Online:

Configure map viewer—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Also, here is a helpful document on how you can create a Tiled Service in ArcGIS Online.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Josh,

There are a few ways in which you can do this:

Customize Your Basemap in ArcGIS Online | ArcWatch

You can also configure the basemap gallery to your own basemaps that you've added to a Group within ArcGIS Online:

Configure map viewer—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Also, here is a helpful document on how you can create a Tiled Service in ArcGIS Online.

VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

I have a map that start with the ESRI topo basemap at the street scale so the user can get oriented. I then added our own aerial photography that won't display until a certain scale so when they need to do a precise point location they can. You can configure it in AGOL using the "Set Visibility Range" option on the map service.

http://phoenix.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=f475dbc856a5479d8b677624f05...