Installing Oracle 64bit Client for ArcGIS Pro SDE Connections

Jump to solution
04-28-2015 03:17 PM
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Can you help me with installing the Oracle 64 bit client for Windows Version 12.1. I understand I need this client to view my Oracle SDE connections in ArcGIS Pro (v 1.0). I downloaded the client but it doesn't have a standard setup.exe and the online instructions​ (Pg 8 Sec 6.2) suggest I need an Oracle Universal Installer to run the setup. I can't find a place to download the Oracle Universal Installer, every blog I come across suggest it comes with the software but it doesn't appear to be within the 64 bit client downloaded zip file. Should I reach out to my IT department for this one? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Ben,

For our Oracle connections I use the instant client.  This unzips to a directory of your choosing.  I then add a reference to that directory in the PATH system environment variable.  You will probably have to reboot for the path variable to be added.  (or add it manually...)

You should then be able to add database connections.

Regards,

Tom

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Ben,

For our Oracle connections I use the instant client.  This unzips to a directory of your choosing.  I then add a reference to that directory in the PATH system environment variable.  You will probably have to reboot for the path variable to be added.  (or add it manually...)

You should then be able to add database connections.

Regards,

Tom

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Ben,

To add to what Tom suggested, be sure to put the 64-bit Oracle client first then the 32-bit location in the PATH system variable.

Here is some more documentation on how to set up the client once on the local machine: Set up a database connection—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Professionals

-George

Geodatabase

--- George T.
RyanPaquette3
New Contributor II

"I then add a reference to that directory in the PATH system environment variable."

got an easy button for this? the post/the instructions here imply we as general end users know what you're talking about... newb here... no idea how or where to do this...

I just want to have GIS Server connections work in ArcGIS Pro regardless of what project I'm in... I'd really prefer for things to just work without having to customize the app / add add-ins but alas that's apparently not a thing 😕

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

In order to update the PATH system environment variable, I believe you need to be an administrator on the workstation which I don't believe was mentioned in this thread.

0 Kudos
BenGrod

Thank you Tom and George for your help and suggestions. I'll try and implement that today and revisit this post with results (hopefully success)

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Ben Grod​ which file did you download from that link?

The link that you have provided, is for Oracle Instant Client....which doesn't have any standard setup.exe. As Tom mentioned, its a zip file which can be extracted to any location of your choosing and the path added to "Environment Variable" for using it.

BenGrod

Asrujit, I downloaded the Instant Client Basic V 12.1.0.2.0. Would this be the correct client? I just read in the ArcGIS Pro help that you can download the Oracle Instant Client from My Esri but I was unable to find it on an Esri site so defaulted to the Oracle site. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Oracle Instant Clients will no longer be available on the My Esri website for download, as it can be downloaded easily from the Oracle website as well.

The file you downloaded is the correct one. Follow the instructions that Tom provided and you should be able to connect fine.

Also, just in case it helps others, it is NOT necessary to use the Oracle Instant Client only. Oracle Full Clients can be used as well to connect.