Help with digitising coordinates

05-01-2015 10:12 AM
ClareKer
New Contributor

I have count data of bird sightings that I would like to plot . The sightings were taken from both the north and south bank of an estuary . The area was broken up into multiple sectors and I have two coordinates (for each sector) along the river bank that define each sector. I need to give these sectors a spatial definition in order to create a link to the bird count. I could possibly create a shape file by just drawing multiple polygons but is there a better way of tabulating the coordinates that I have?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Clare, your question is a bit confusing. So, you have coordinates for points that you want to digitize? Or, are you saying you have two points along a line that represents the bank? And what exactly so you mean by spatial definition? Maybe you could post a screenshot of what you have--both feature classes and tables,

0 Kudos
ClareKer
New Contributor

Hi - Sorry - bad start I wasn't allowed to attach the file so I've pasted it instead. This is my first GIS project and so am floundering a bit.  In essence i have the 3 pieces of data all on PDF, and so nothing is accessible for me to download, 40 sectors on the Humber Estuary and about 80 species of bird counted over 12 months. I can convert the points on the river bank and plot them but I need to bring the whole thing together which I understand to be create polygons from the points, give each a unique identifier and use this to merge the bird numbers which i then hope to represent through graduated shapes. I hope that this makes sense and you are able to help? Thank you

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

If I understand correctly, your first step is to import your coordinates into ArcMap​ (for example, from an Excel worksheet). Make sure you specify the coordinate system in which your points were recorded (probably either UTM or WGS84). From there your tasks depend on what exactly you want to do - draw sector polygons, add a field to the polygons to link to sightings, etc.

0 Kudos
ClareKer
New Contributor

Thank you Darren, I think that because I'm relatively new to ARC I'm still unsure as to the steps to take. I can clearly see the principal involved but the practice is right now a little beyond me!

0 Kudos