DEM Mosaic Issues in 10.2.2

05-06-2015 08:31 AM
DanielWhitehorn
New Contributor

I have been tasked to mosaic 26 DEM tiles together. In doing so, I have come across an issue where that last 3 DEMs become checkerboard (see attachment) at a scale beyond 1:150,000. Zooming in below 1:150,000 everything is fine (no checkerboard), which is weird. I used the "Mosaic To New Raster" to create this mosaic. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Daniel

Mosaic Issue.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Have you tried Building Overviews​? I can't explain why it only happens for the last three rasters, but overviews generally control how your zoomed out (small scale) mosaic dataset will be displayed.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hey Darren, when you use Mosaic to New Raster, the resulting raster is not actually a mosaic dataset, but one single raster. It's a confusing name for the tool actually. I wish it was called something else, like Merge perhaps.

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Ah, yes. Not reading carefully enough.

0 Kudos
DanielWhitehorn
New Contributor

Hi Darren,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I tried building overviews and that didn't resolve the issue. After several attempts, it turned out to be a memory issue. The mosaic data (or single raster) exceeded the storage capacity of the file geodatabase that I saved it in, which caused the last three rasters to be inconsistent. I simply saved the mosaic to a folder and the issue was resolved.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I have had this exact problem, and it turned out I just needed to build pyramids for the rasters. As an FYI, the checkerboard appearance did not affect any analysis, but was just a visual thing. Here's some info on building pyramids: ArcGIS Help 10.1

DanielWhitehorn
New Contributor

Thank you Sephe!

0 Kudos