Symbol size not affected by map zoom

05-11-2015 09:24 AM
SimonFox
New Contributor II

Hi folks,

I have a server sending me symbols onto my map. They're quite small when zoomed out. When I zoom in on my AGSMapView, I can see the symbols increasing in size as I'd want them to.

However as soon as I left go of the zoom gesture, the symbols snap back to the tiny resolution. So the result is that regardless of the map scale, the symbols remain tiny.

We tried making their images very large on the server as a test, but it's the same. Seems to be a client-side issue.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Simon.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Simon,

Have you checked the source mxd reference scale?

To get to this menu Right click on Layers in the Table of Contents --> General Tab

0 Kudos
SimonFox
New Contributor II

Thanks Rickey, I'll pass this on to our server manager and see if it helps. Back soon.

0 Kudos
SimonFox
New Contributor II

Ok, yes we had tried that, but made no difference unfortunately.

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you share the link or the service?

0 Kudos
SimonFox
New Contributor II

Hi Rickey, could I send the server details by email? It's proprietary data, so can't post publicly.

I'm at simonfoxguitar@gmail.com

Thanks so much, really appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

As Rickey stated, the data frame's reference scale would set up symbology that got bigger or smaller as you zoomed past or away from that set scale level.  If you have no reference scale (the default) then the symbology will remain whatever size you published it at, at all scale levels.  If the symbology itself is not changing after you've changed the size of the symbol and republished the service, then there is an issue with whatever web app you're using to visualize your layer.

SimonFox
New Contributor II

I'm using the iOS components to view the layer, so I'm pretty sure it's a server config issue.

I'll try and get permission for Rickey to take a look. Will have to go offline with it

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
SimonFox
New Contributor II

Thanks for Rickey for taking a look. The native app view behaves quite different to the browser view.

I tested this with one of the ESRI sample apps, and the same zoom problem seems to occur.

Does anyone from the iOS dev team have a comment?

0 Kudos
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Simon,

I am sorry to hear it is not a simple fix

If you want esri iOS dev team help I might unmark my answer as correct.

0 Kudos