Request: MEANINGFUL content on the "Justify your trip" page

05-26-2015 02:37 PM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Why is the "Justify Your Trip" page so devoid of actual content about what the conference is? Like many folks, I have to craft a justification memo/letter but, in addition to that, I need to attach something that show/describes what the conference is and is about. Back in the "good 'ole days" when ESRI physically mailed something leading up to each year's conference, I could photocopy or attach that because it actually contained who/what/where content such as "..over 13,000 attendees, 200 plus workshops, 120 user submitted paper sessions, etc.....".

Now, we get a webpage with nine lowly quotes from John and Jane Doe, all of whom a non-GIS person could care less about. Look- we're users, we get it. But I need to submit something to non-users. I need a web page, or PDF, something WITH ESRI'S STAMPING, that simply explains what this is all about. This new era of snazzy modern design webpages and select quotes really doesn't really cut it.

Go back to the future. Please.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KarenRichardson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry you are not finding the information you need. Did you see the letter you can download? We have put together a justification memo for you. It's on the Justify Your Trip page. I hope this helps. If not, we are always open for suggestions!

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Yes- I am well aware of the justification letter template. That's not what I am referring to.

IN ADDITION to a justification memo, I need to attach SOMETHING (produced by ESRI) that describes what the conference is. Consider this URISA example. This is what I need from ESRI (and this is what ESRI used to produce several years ago). The nine random testimonial quotes doesn't explain WHAT the conference is; it only bolsters the concept that attending the conference is beneficial.

Do you feel confident that if you printed a copy of any webpage found on the ESRI UC site that a non-GIS person would understand what the conference is and what happens? I no longer feel this way. How about adding a page called "What is the ESRI UC?" and compile content that addresses the who/what/where/why questions.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I agree that,  especially for those trying to justify it for the first time. Something similar to the Agenda at a Glance ​but with less of the "activities" and a more of the various tracks (overview track title and short description) would probably  be helpful. 

Since many times users are putting in conference approval and travel requests in long before the agenda is ready, maybe it would help to show a sample of the previous years agenda (make sure to state that is it a sample for the previous year).  Managers don't typically want too much detail, but I'm sure a summary of the technical and training highlights would be helpful.  And if it's from the prior year, this could be posted as soon as the upcoming UC page is posted. 

0 Kudos