Overlay Analysis - Single Feature Identical to Multiple Features

05-25-2015 10:03 AM
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III

I need to select features from 2 polygon feature classes that match identically to each other. When using the 'Select by Location' tool, I can choose a 'Spatial selection method for target layer feature(s)' method of 'are identical to the source layer'. This will iterate through and match each single feature from the Target Layer to a single feature in the Source Layer that are identical.

This works well, however what I am also interested in is finding if a single feature from the Target Layer is identical to multiple features from the Source layer that comprise the same outline as the single feature.

In the example below, you see a single polygon (left). This polygon exactly matches the outline of the second polygon (comprised of 2 features). I would like to find any single records from the Target Layer that matches the outline of any features from the Source layer, whether or not, the Source Layer is a single feature or multple features. Is this possible?

polygon_match.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what do you get when you select those completely within or within (check), versus identical?  Are these the candidates you want?

0 Kudos
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III

'Within' isn't the desired result. A little background on the task, I issue mining lease areas as polygons. Those mining lease areas are established by a second polygon layer. These are survey parcels. The mining lease must identically match it's survey parcel, otherwise the lease needs to be fixed so that they are identical. Sometimes a lease is estblished by 2 or more adjacent survey parcels. In this case, the 'are identical to the source layer' clause will not work as it matches one polygon from the target layer for one polygon in the source layer. So in this case, I need to see if the lease area matches 2 or more adjacent survey parcels to see if the lease is valid.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

​Mike...as a test, can you dissolve the polygons based upon the lease, essentially removing he adjacent survey parcel shared boundary?  It would be worth a test for those cases where this is an issue

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

What about creating centroids from your survey polygons, then use a spatial join to join data from your lease polygons to the points. You could then join the points layer back to the survey polygons, and now you have the lease data in your survey polygons. This would enable you to dissolve on the lease data, as Dan suggested. After that, you could use the Symmetrical Difference tool to find areas that are mismatched between the two layers.

Actually, maybe you could just use the symmetrical difference tool on it's own, if the leases are not adjacent.