Migrating Portal for ArcGIS content from one server (10.2) to another (10.3.1)

05-28-2015 09:19 AM
JohnsonKosgei
New Contributor II

We are in the middle of upgrading our ArcGIS platform to 10.3.1. A decision was made to migrate to new server instance (as opposed to in place upgrade). Could anyone share thoughts on how best to migrate portal users and content from the old instance to the new instance? My concern is whether the PostgreSQL database structure (which I assume contains user:content mapping, group security, etc.) in 10.2 is identical to that of 10.3.1 or if I could simply port over the 'arcgisportal\content' folder without breaking existing mapping of users:content. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LakshmananVenkatesan
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Kosgei,

Have you received any information or best practice on this task?

0 Kudos
JohnsonKosgei
New Contributor II

Hi SR - This link came in handy: Example: Copy content—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server .

we are customizing to ensure we can move data belonging to multiple users at once.

Regards,

Johnson

LakshmananVenkatesan

Thanks. I will check this .

0 Kudos
LakshmananVenkatesan

Hi Johnson,

I would like to chat with you, by any chance do you have alternative way to connect with you?

SR

0 Kudos
JohnsonKosgei
New Contributor II

SR - What's your email address. My apologies, your note must have slipped my mind and I forgot to respond. We underwent several challenges even after spending a lot of time with Esri support. We were able to use and modify existing scripts that manage to partially move portal content. For users with less than 6 digits, there were still issues. As for groups, and sharing, we had to devise near-manual approach to migrate them. We can connect on LinkedIn or drop me an email on johnson.kosgei@us.redbull.com.

Best,

Johnson

0 Kudos
CameronKroeker
Esri Contributor

I have tested the following work flow moving from 10.3 to 10.3.1 and it was successful:

1. Copy the C:\arcgisportal directory from the 10.3 Portal Machine to the new machine
  2. Run the 10.3.1 installer on the new machine
  3. During the installation it will as if you would like to use existing content or create new content
  4. Select the first option, to use existing content
  5. After installation completes, authorize Portal and create initial administrator account
  6. Install and configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor for Portal
  7. Sign into Portal Home and verify that the users and content were migrated to the 10.3.1 Portal

I have not tested it with version 10.2 though. However, you could always try copying the C:\arcgisportal directory from the original machine to the new machine. Install 10.2 Portal pointing it to the existing content and then perform the upgrade to 10.3.1.

LakshmananVenkatesan

Hi Cameron,

I am talking on Migrating portal contents from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1

During one of the conference, I happened to talk ESRI product manager who mentioned that copying contents (10.2.1 to 10.3.1) will be an issue. Because each web map is tied IP address of server, they cannot changed merely copying. I have gone through Copy-Content example they simply copy the contents of Person A from Portal A to Person B of Portal B. I don't see any code to change any IP address or anything. Does my understanding is correct?

We have more than 1000+ users, that mean do we need run the copy content script for all the users in order to migrate the contents?.

We are currently migrating Portal to 10.3.1 and but all our services (Map/GP/Globe/Gecode) will remain in 10.2.1.

We need to some extra time to purchase new hardware and upgrade the ArcGIS server 10.3.1.

Please throw some light on this migration.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There shouldn't be anything that ties a webmap to a particular machine based on IP.  I agree that copying content from one version to a different version could be problematic, but if you look at the information for a webmap, (https://<server>.<domain>.com/<WA>/sharing/rest/content/users/<user>/items/<itemID>), there are no properties for an IP address.  There's of course JSON information that constructs the webmap, which contains pointers to services that may be accessed through an IP address or FQDN, but as long as the Server is still up and running, the webmap should function as expected.

MiriEshel
New Contributor III

Hi Cameron,

I wanted to uninstall 10.3 and install 10.3.1 on the same machine.

1. I removed 10.3 but kept c:\arcgisportal.

2. I installed 10.3.1 but it didn't ask me whether to use existing content or create new content. It overrides my 10.3 arcgisportal directory and created a new one instead so the previous content disappeared.

Isn't it strange?

Thanks a lot,

Miri

0 Kudos