Dual Range Address Locator Help

06-12-2015 08:53 AM
Labels (1)
TimothyBall3
New Contributor

Hi all,

I created a dual range address locator with city centerline data, and am having trouble with its accuracy. When I geocode the city address I have 82% matched results, which I am content with considering the data I am working with, but the main issue is each spatial point is one house off, so roughy 35-50 ft.  For example, the 913 Emerson Ave created address point falls on the 911 Emerson Ave. parcel.  Ideally I want the 913 Emerson address point to fall in front of the 913 Emerson Ave parcel.  I have tampered with the geocoding options.  Currently I have them set at: spelling sens.= 80, Min. can. score= 75, min. match score= 85, side offset= 35 ft, and end offset 3%.  I'm new to GIS so would love some help/ feedback! Thanks everybody!

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm not sure you will be able to do much about this.  The way the geocoder works is as such.

You're road data has ranges on both sides of the road say 2-10 (valid addresses being 2, 4, 6 ,8, 10) and 1-9 (valid addresses being 1, 3, 5, 7, 9).  If you have an address like 4 North Main St the geocoder will find the percentage along the centerline on the correct side.  In the example I stated it would put the address point 33% along the side of the road with address ranges 2-10.  Does this make sense?

You would have to modify your road centerline data to reflect the exact values that addresses are capable of being along the centerline.  This can be a very cumbersome task because a lot of ranges are theoretical.

If you have parcels for each plot, you could use the tool polygon to point.  This will create a point in the geographic center of your polygon.  This may be a faster way to create address points.

-Steven

TimothyBall3
New Contributor

Thanks Steven.  Thanks for explaining how the dual range address locator works. Makes sense. 

Unfortunately, the parcel data isn't up to date.  It sounds like I will just have to make do with what I have, for now.

Best,

Tim

0 Kudos