Pavement Management System (PMS) implementation into GIS

06-21-2015 06:05 PM
RichardTruong
New Contributor III

I've being asked to implement a Pavement Management System (PMS) into GIS and maintained through GIS.   There are several issues I encountered during the implement process.   First, the PMS system which were being recorded over the years is in Excel spreadsheet.   The pavement of the recorded information is usually started at one intersection and ended at the next intersection.   Secondly, this Excel data does not contain any unique value to each pavement record, just road names description of the beginning and end of the road intersections.   Yes, there is a field indicating the total linear length of pavement.   Now from the GIS point of view, GIS road segment some time has many breaks between two intersections.   There are unique id number being assigned to each segment within GIS feature road data.  At this point, I really have no idea where to begin regards the implementation.   Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

PS.  I have little knowledge in programming.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Richard, is it possible to post a screenshot of your excel table? Does it have any x/y location fields, such as lat/long or other coordinates? How about your road layer? Does it contain intersection information?

If possible, can you post a zipped file of both the excel table, and the road data?

0 Kudos
RichardTruong
New Contributor III

Hi Sephe,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review my enquiry.  The Excel table is too extensive for snap shot, therefore, I zipped the table along with our road centerline polyline feature for your review.  A quick glance at the Excel table, the only information which require to join with the road centerline feature are hi-lite in 'yellow-color' fields.  As you can see, there are no coordinate systems on either Excel or line feature, however, line feature can be modified to add the x/y coordinates.  In addition, the line feature does not have intersection info.

Thank you,

Richard

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Your street feature class has the 'ExternalStreetKey' field which appears to be a unique id which is a start.

With a name like External, one would think that someone was thinking of a relationship with (drum roll) some external data source  I don't see that field defined in the spreadsheet, but if you were to comb through any other data sources you may find it attached to a table (spreadsheet) somewhere.  If you can, that pretty much will allow you to relate the centerline features to the appropriate pavement record.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Pavement management is dealing with the same basic problem as this post about Street Matching.  Linear Referencing (LR) is the solution and was probably developed specifically because of pavement management requirements.  LR can create any point or line segment using any portion of a linear feature without having to break that feature up.  My solution is to maintian a segmented Centerline layer in a standard polyline feature class with a topology that ensures I create segment breaks at every intersection that fully snap together.

Then I have a script that derives 3 things from the Centerlines:  1) an LR Route network that merges all segments for each road into a single route with measures, 2) an intersection point feature class, and 3) an event table containing the route ID and measure of every pair of names in all orders that meet at each intersection.  The event table contains fields I can join to other tables (like a PM table) based on a concatenated pair of street names so that I can convert other tables to LR event tables.  Based on this derivative data I also have been able to build an application that walks a user through creating human readable limits that the application will convert into the route and measures required to define that segment.

You also should develop some kind of ID system for you PM segments.  My jurisdiction uses our maintained road number billing numbers and a numerical segment ID for our PM IDs.  It looks like M12345A 01000, where the first part is the billing number and the last part is the segment number.  The use of a 5 digit segment number starting at 01000 lets us change the segmentation of the roads and maintain a unique sequential (south to north or west to east) numbering of each set of route limits, so that each set of limits over time is defined by a unique number.

RichardTruong
New Contributor III

Hi Richard,

The provided information does provide me a head-start to this project.   Thank you very much for the lead.   Would it be possible for me to obtain the codes/scripts to LR?  

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Richard, linear referencing is a set of tools in the ArcGIS toolbox--no special scripts needed!

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

The code I use to create intersection related items is in the Street Matching thread.

For the actual Route creation from the Centerlines I have created a field called ROUTE_NAME for my Route ID field.  That field is made up of the Street Names plus an abbreviation of the primary area plan boundary it falls in (to distinguish streets like Main St that occur have several separate unrelated alignments across my County).  I build the routes based on those IDs using the Create Routes Tool in the Linear Referencing Toolbox.  I use the length of the roads for the measures and generally use Lower Left coordinate priority as the primary orientation of the routes so that they generally build from west to east of from south to north.  I also check the option to add measures within Gaps.

I had to look at the routes to ensure they built correctly.  Some don't when you build them from the Lower Left, particularly when the route is on a diagonal alignment or very curvy.  I added a field to my Centerline to be hold values like LL, LR, UL and UR to be able to assign the orientation I wanted to apply to sets of Centerlines.  That way I can select the lines that should be built for each orientation and run the Create Routes tool.  I then append all of those routes together into my final Route feature class in a script.

RichardTruong
New Contributor III

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the respond.  Unfortunately, there is no unique id to Excel data, just Road Centerline feature. 

0 Kudos