Updating identical text elements in multiple MXDs

06-28-2015 10:06 PM
StefKoroblitsas
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm looking to create a python script that will update a folder of mxds together. I have designated 6 TEXT_ELEMENTS in my titleblock to be updated using  arcpy.GetParameterAsText()  but will just use 1 for this question.

Below is my text for updating the text element if i were to only update one .mxd which as the top line says only edits the current .mxd that is open.

thisMap = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("CURRENT")
myDF = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(thisMap) [0]
myLayers = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(myDF)
newProjectTitle = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)
myElements = arcpy.mapping.ListLayoutElements(thisMap, "TEXT_ELEMENT")
for element in myElements:
   if element.name == "ProjectTitle":
       element.text = newProjectTitle
arcpy.RefreshActiveView()

Then using a script in a custom toolbox, i can input the new Project title, and it update the MXD. (not very useful yet as i could just click on the text element itself and update it manually)

However i would like to take it further and update not just the current .mxd, but all my .mxds in a specified folder and  (using path = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0))

It will save ample amounts of time as there are projects where i will need to manually open x amount of .mxds to rename a Text element in all of them that has been incorrectly named.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the python code as im quite new to python and don't know what i am doing:

1)   specifying the folder to open using path = arcpy.GetParameterAsText

2)  creating a list of all the .mxds in said folder (like below? not sure if this is the best method)

iteLog=open(path+"\FileListLog.txt","w")
for fileName in os.listdir(path):
    fullPath = os.path.join(path, fileName)
    if os.path.isfile(fullPath):
        basename, extension = os.path.splitext(fullPath)
        if extension == ".mxd":
            writeLog.write(fullPath+"\n")
            mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(fullPath)
            print fileName + "\n"
del mxd
print "Done"
writeLog.close()

3)  specifying the text_element(s) to be updated

4) cycling through (via the script) each .mxd in the list and updating the specified text_element, then saving, closing and opening the next on the list. (this would be the main part im confused with)

Thanks in advance and let me know if i haven't provided enough information!

Stef

0 Kudos
0 Replies