Draw tools don't work in Data view

Jump to solution
06-30-2015 08:54 AM
RebeccaGeauvreau
New Contributor II

My 'Draw' toolbar won't work in Data view.  The tools appear to work, but are invisible when they actually draw and I can't select and access the properties.  Any suggestions on how to fix?  They do however, work in Layout view...Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidBarnes
Occasional Contributor III

Also, check to make sure the data frame's "target" annotation group is set to be visible. To do this, open the Data Frame properties, Annotation Groups tab and make sure the checkbox next to the annotation group name is checked on.

You can check to see which Annotation Group is the target for drawing by going to the Draw toolbar, Drawing menu, Active Annotation Target pullright.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Do they work in a new mxd? If not, does it help to reset your Normal.mxt (see bottom of this page)?

0 Kudos
RebeccaGeauvreau
New Contributor II

No they don't work in new map.  I gave your suggestion a try - renamed normal.mxt and restarted - same problem

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

This might help, might not, try creating a new annotation group or ensuring that yours is turned on, the active annotation target, and/or set to the right scale:

ArcGIS Desktop

RebeccaGeauvreau
New Contributor II

Thanks Michael - your suggestion was the right one!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Might have something to do with the coordinate system. The graphic draw in layout units (e.g.cm or inches or any other unit defined). In the map (dataframe) view it will use the coordinate system defined.

The other day I was drawing a simple floor plan to see if some thins would fit. The dataframe had Unknown as coordinate system and when I wanted to measure I couldn't. I decided to select a projected coordinate system and my graphics disappeared. I was able to find them zooming out a lot, but they were all screwed up and most didn't show.

What I mean to say is that having a correct coordinate system is very important. However, if you already have data in the dataframe and they show correctly, the graphics drawn should show.

Could you include a screen shot of what you see (are the handles of the graphic visible after drawing)?

0 Kudos
RebeccaGeauvreau
New Contributor II

Hi Xander,

I think the coordinate system is ok; all other data is displaying & behaving correctly.  Attached is a screen grab - I used the circle tool and drew a circle; when I finish the handles are visible but not the circle.

thanks.draw tools not working screen grab.png

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

So under "Drawing" dropdown - what is the active annotation group, and is it turned on?

RebeccaGeauvreau
New Contributor II

default is now but I suppose it wasn't.  Funny how the simplest things cause such frustration!  Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
DavidBarnes

Also, check to make sure the data frame's "target" annotation group is set to be visible. To do this, open the Data Frame properties, Annotation Groups tab and make sure the checkbox next to the annotation group name is checked on.

You can check to see which Annotation Group is the target for drawing by going to the Draw toolbar, Drawing menu, Active Annotation Target pullright.