How do you get a custom geocoder service into Story Map Series - Tabbed Layout?

Jump to solution
06-30-2015 05:21 PM
GISSection
New Contributor III

I've added a geocoding service hosted by ArcGIS Server with a REST service to our ArcGIS Online account as below:

The option to change geocoders shows up in the search bar in Map Series Builder edit mode:

However, in the live map - the option to change geocoders doesn't appear and it defaults to the Esri World Geocoder:

Any solutions?

Thanks!

jc

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

With the upcoming release of ArcGIS Online next week, it will be possible to use custom Geocoder on organization that have disabled anonymous access in most of ArcGIS Online apps like Basic Viewer.

Unfortunately I was not aware of that issue and did not implement that new workflow so StoryMaps apps are not going to implement this capability until our September or December release. Until then, your workarounds are to enable anonymous access or download and configure the application to use custom geocoders.

Sorry for your trouble, hope you find a convenient solution in one of these two workarounds.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi JC,

I just tested this and I do see the second geocoder in my live app (see screenshot).

Does your geocoding service have any security on it? Can you provide me with the URL to your service so I can test it directly (you can send it to me in a private GeoNet message if you prefer not to post the URL here)?

2015-06-30 at 8.53.59 PM.JPG

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
GISSection
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the quick reply!

That is a likely possibility - here is my service URL (http://maps.woollahra.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/arconline/WMC_Locator/GeocodeServer)

JC

0 Kudos
GISSection
New Contributor III

Hi Owen Evans,

Did you get a chance to take a look at our service URL?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, I can hit the geocoder -- there's no security on it.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Sorry about your issue.

The only thing that I can see causing that is if in viewer you are not using the "org url".

Does you URL looks like

http://myorg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/ ?

or is it http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/ ?

If it's the second form, please update to the first and let me know. Otherwise could you share a link to your app?

0 Kudos
GISSection
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Thanks. Your application or one of his map doesn't seems to be shared publicly so I can't look at it.

I tried many thing but can't seems to reproduce. If I had your geocoder to my org it works great.

0 Kudos
GISSection
New Contributor III

Sorry Gregory, I've just shared the application and webmaps publicly now if you would like to try again.

Thanks for trying!

Just to clarify, you've tried our geocoder with your own Story Map Series and it works? Is that right?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your StoryMaps. Yes your geocoder is working fine for me on my ArcGIS Online account.

I think I found your issue, if I disable anonymous access in my AGOL settings, see screenshot below the geocoder will only appear when I'm in the Map Series builder. Not sure if this the expected behavior. I will ask ArcGIS Online development team if this is the expected behavior and get back to you.

In the meantime, if you can't enable that settings for security reason, the only option that I see for you is to download the Map Series app, host it on your own server and configure the geocoder list manually. Let me know if you want to take that road and I will describe the process more fully, as there is one trick to know to do that.

0 Kudos