Hi All, How to prepare input data for Xacto cross section?

Jump to solution
07-01-2015 03:19 PM
sinxayvongphachanh
New Contributor

My problem is I do not understand how to create the bedrock_topo layer, where is this layer came from? is it from DEM?

Could anyone help me please?

I am very new with Xacto cross section user.

Sinxay

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

​From the download link there is a lot of things that you need to do

• Check the user guide and tutorial for instructions.
  • the download contains a project (*.mxd) with data that you are supposed to use to test it out
  • you will be required to install VBA if you don't have it installed, installation is not part of the ArcMap process anymore, so if you didn't do it ...you didn't do it.
  • The code is within the project, implying that to use it in other projects, you have to get it out and moved to a new one.
  • oh yes, 3D analyst is required in order to use it.

I suspect for further information, you should contact the author if the list of requirements doesn't help

The objective of this program is to use GIS to draw important parts of the cross section precisely: the surface profile(s) (from raster), the geologic units and their contact points on the surface, the location of wells/boreholes, and the geologic materials found at the well location, projected as a line into the subsurface. The output is a combination of polyline and point shapefiles. Shapefiles can be converted to 3D for viewing in ArcScene. Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) was used to develop the program. Code is stored in the .mxd. The user defines a sampling interval and vertical exaggeration. Zip file contains an .mxd, user guide, tutorial instructions and tutorial data. 3D Analyst extension is required. Last tested with ArcGIS 10.1; I have heard from others who have been using the tool successfully in 10.3.

The download file includes an .mxd, tutorial instructions and data, and a user guide.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Never heard of it...Is this a third party addin or something?  This site is for help on how to use GeoNet...do you want to relocate this to somewhere more appropriate like the 3D analyst place or somewhere more useful?

0 Kudos
sinxayvongphachanh
New Contributor
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

​From the download link there is a lot of things that you need to do

• Check the user guide and tutorial for instructions.
  • the download contains a project (*.mxd) with data that you are supposed to use to test it out
  • you will be required to install VBA if you don't have it installed, installation is not part of the ArcMap process anymore, so if you didn't do it ...you didn't do it.
  • The code is within the project, implying that to use it in other projects, you have to get it out and moved to a new one.
  • oh yes, 3D analyst is required in order to use it.

I suspect for further information, you should contact the author if the list of requirements doesn't help

The objective of this program is to use GIS to draw important parts of the cross section precisely: the surface profile(s) (from raster), the geologic units and their contact points on the surface, the location of wells/boreholes, and the geologic materials found at the well location, projected as a line into the subsurface. The output is a combination of polyline and point shapefiles. Shapefiles can be converted to 3D for viewing in ArcScene. Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) was used to develop the program. Code is stored in the .mxd. The user defines a sampling interval and vertical exaggeration. Zip file contains an .mxd, user guide, tutorial instructions and tutorial data. 3D Analyst extension is required. Last tested with ArcGIS 10.1; I have heard from others who have been using the tool successfully in 10.3.

The download file includes an .mxd, tutorial instructions and data, and a user guide.

sinxayvongphachanh
New Contributor

Thank you very much Dan Petterson for your suggestion.

I will follow your advice

0 Kudos