Best JavaScript library for Web Mapping using the ArcGIS for Server

Jump to solution
07-02-2015 05:38 AM
haronkardon
New Contributor

I'm working on a web-based mapping system and I'm trying to figure out the best (most) appropriate library to use for interactive web maps (querying, editing, interaction with external WebServices (popup's parcel), print,...).

The only conditions is that I use the ArcGIS for Server 10.2 (ESRI) to serve geographic data on the web.

So, I'm looking for a JavaScript based mapping engine that will handle ArcGIS MapServer and Feature services.

What do you think about Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS and its custom widgets (I already have an ArcGIS Server license and an AGOL organizational account)?

And what about OpenLayers/Leaflet?

Other suggestions/tips are welcome. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Haron,

It depends on a few things. How many people will use this?  How many features do you want in the web app?

"Leaflet is the leading open-source JavaScript library for mobile-friendly interactive maps. Weighing just about 33 KB of JS, it has all the mapping features most developers ever need.

Leaflet is designed with simplicity, performance and usability in mind. It works efficiently across all major desktop and mobile platforms, can be extended with lots of plugins, has a beautiful, easy to use and well-documented API and a simple, readable source code that is a joy to contribute to." -Leaflet -

Where in Esri Javascript API is more robust and has more support from Esri. Web appbuilder is very user friendly and easy to set up.

It does also depend on your skill as a programmer.

They will both handle 10.2 and Feature servers. I would look at examples see what ones fit what you are looking for and go forward from there.

Links:

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/jssamples/

Leaflet - a JavaScript library for interactive maps

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Haron,

It depends on a few things. How many people will use this?  How many features do you want in the web app?

"Leaflet is the leading open-source JavaScript library for mobile-friendly interactive maps. Weighing just about 33 KB of JS, it has all the mapping features most developers ever need.

Leaflet is designed with simplicity, performance and usability in mind. It works efficiently across all major desktop and mobile platforms, can be extended with lots of plugins, has a beautiful, easy to use and well-documented API and a simple, readable source code that is a joy to contribute to." -Leaflet -

Where in Esri Javascript API is more robust and has more support from Esri. Web appbuilder is very user friendly and easy to set up.

It does also depend on your skill as a programmer.

They will both handle 10.2 and Feature servers. I would look at examples see what ones fit what you are looking for and go forward from there.

Links:

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/jssamples/

Leaflet - a JavaScript library for interactive maps

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

DenisSavItskiy
New Contributor II

If we talk about ArcGIS REST and Leaflet list not be complete without following links :

Esri/esri-leaflet · GitHub