Composite Geocode Service Returns Multiple Results

Jump to solution
07-06-2015 09:06 AM
CraigCarsley
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to use a composite geocoding service in a javascript web app, but it returns a result from each of the address locators (Address_Points & Street_Centerlines) referenced by the composite locator. 

Is there a parameter I can set, somewhere, that tells the geocoder to return ONLY the BEST result?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CraigCarsley

Thanks for the help, Yue.  I got some one-on-one help at the ESRI UC, and found a very simple solution.

All I needed to do was change one character...

to:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Craig,

There are several ways to limit the geocoder widget to return result:

One way to do it is to set maxLocations that returns after you typed the name of location, please take a look about this API reference: Geocoder | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

The other way is to set some specifications for geocoder. Take a look this page https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/jsapi/geocoder-amd.html#geocoder1 and search "Object Specifications" for details. It sounds like you are using your own custom geocoder, so you better to make sure if those all specifications are available for your geocoder.

Also, Here is a sample code to append suffix to restrict the result to "Redlands" Geocoder - append default suffix | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

There is another similar thread about geocoder suggestions you can take as a references filtering Geocoder for a specific country

Hope this can help!

CraigCarsley

Thanks Yue, it was helpful.  I added maxLocations to the code, but it's still returning two results.

I'm not sure whether I added the parameter incorrectly or whether its not supported for this.

Would you say the following snippet looks right?

function locate() {

map.graphics.clear();

var add = dojo.byId("address").value;

var address = {

Street : add,

maxLocations : 1

};

locator.addressToLocations(address,["Loc_name"]);

}

YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Craig,

One thing you can do is when you using the chrome and open the developer tools and check the network tab, every time when you type something on the search widget bar, you can find the web requests that generate from javascript client and make sure the maxLocations parameter is right as you put in code, sometimes you may put the wrong location and the parameter not honored.

Please take this snippet code as a reference:

You need to put the maxLocations under geocoder object not geocoders, the reason is because you add geocoders into geocoder to use your own composed geocoder.

var geocoders = [{
            url: "http://nwu-win7.esri.com/server/rest/services/AtlantaGeolocator/GeocodeServer",
            name: "AtlantaGeolocator Geocoder",
            singleLineFieldName: "Single Line Input",
            autoComplete: true,
        }];

var geocoder = new Geocoder({
          map: map,
          geocoders: geocoders,
          autoComplete: true,
          autoNavigate: true,
          minCharacters: 3,
          arcgisGeocoder: false,
          maxLocations: 1
        },"search");

geocode.JPG

CraigCarsley

Thanks for the help, Yue.  I got some one-on-one help at the ESRI UC, and found a very simple solution.

All I needed to do was change one character...

to:

0 Kudos