Displaying multiple label features in one feature class

07-09-2015 09:00 AM
KatyW
by
New Contributor III

Man I hope I typed out the title of this thread correctly! 

I'm trying to display multiple label fields like the one in the first image.  The feature class is underground nap in the splice closure layer.  I want to show the enc_size and fiberassignments as labels for the underground nap.  How do I do this?  I tired reading all kinds of resources on labeling and annotation but I'm falling short on understanding how the hell to do this!  I provided my MXD in the second image.

Thanks for the help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

You posted this in GeoNet help which is for questions about using GeoNet.  You might want to move this to the GIS place or somewhere to get a better response.

The answer to your question is you have to build a label expression.  In VB it would look something like this:

[field1] &"/"& [field2]

You would then set the labels to stack and force split using the / character.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

If the link doesn't work, google arcgis stack labels.

-Steven

0 Kudos
KatyW
by
New Contributor III

Ooops, my bad...thanks!

0 Kudos
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

Not sure I understand your question, but if you want to stack the labels you will need to use an expression, such as one of the examples shown here:

Building label expressions—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

Select the Label tab from Layer Properties, click the Expression button, and enter the expression in the Expression box on the lower half of the window. For example, the vbscript expression

[NAME] & vbCrLf& [ADDRESS_1] & vbCrLf& [ADDRESS_2]

Would create a label that looks like this:

Name

Address_1

Address_2

KatyW
by
New Contributor III

I keep getting an error message that says "No features found.  Could not verify expression"

0 Kudos
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

Are you constructing your expression using the list of available fields in the box above? Are your field names enclosed in brackets? Are you including the "&" character between each field name?

KatyW
by
New Contributor III

My expression looks like this:

[ENC_SIZE] "&" [FIBERASSIGNMENTS]

My field spellings are correct and are capitalized in the attribute table.

0 Kudos
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

remove the " " from the ampersand

0 Kudos
KatyW
by
New Contributor III

Even without the " " around the ampersand, I still get the error

0 Kudos