Steam Infrastructure in Local Government Info Model?

07-17-2015 09:09 AM
Labels (1)
MiffDevin
New Contributor III

Hi there,

We are an industrial port that just recently started using the Local Govt information model.  So far I enjoy the template and all the features it provides by default.

I am having one problem with it though.  We have a fair amount of steam infrastructure that runs from a local natural gas powerplant, and I would like to bring this data in to the Local Govt model.  But I cannot find a place for it in any of the default feature classes.  I have looked in the data dictionary but cannot find anything that covers steam.  I might be missing something, but can someone point me in the right direction?

If there is indeed no place for steam infrastructure currently in the Local Govt info model, then I think it would be advantageous for Esri to include it in their next update to the Local Govt model.  Does anyone agree? 

I am open to questions, comments or concerns.  I am still a GIS newbie and am trying to get the ball rolling for our municipality!  Always love to learn new things!

-Blaine from Port of Morrow in Boardman, OR

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SallieVaughn
Occasional Contributor

Blaine,

You are correct, there does not seem to be a place in the model for this kind of data. It's really good idea though, as many college campuses, medical facilities, and military installations have this sort of infrastructure. I'd recommend submitting an idea to ESRI: http://ideas.arcgis.com/

For now, however, you could probably create your own feature dataset and feature classes that is similar to other LGIM data.

--Sallie

0 Kudos
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Blaine and Sallie,

My name is Tom DeWitte.  I am the technical lead at Esri in support of the Natural Gas Industry and curator of the gas industry data model.  This year we are undertaking the project you requested in 2015.  Hopefully better late than never. I have been asked to take the lead on this new effort by Esri to better support our District heating and District cooling customers. 

Our goal is to have version 1 of this new utility network based data model released by October, 2020.

Tom DeWitte

Esri 

tdewitte@esri.com

0 Kudos