Transparency and clipping in maps

07-28-2015 11:46 AM
KatyW
by
New Contributor III

I have attached a map I am trying to re-create and I'm having some difficulty trying to figure out how to get the transparency and clipping right.  I'm going to be creating a series of these maps using data driven pages so there is that to consider as well.  I've been playing around with all kinds of settings with no success... 

HELP!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

What features are you planning to use in your map book? There is a setting once your map book is created that allows you to show or not show features with page definitions on the definition query page this option is only available after you've set up your map book

KatyW
by
New Contributor III

I really want to keep all the features on the map I just want the polygon that is supposed to be featured to be more visible by having everything else around it at a higher transparency.  Does that make sense?  The attachment on my original post shows an example...

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I think Wes is on the right track with the Page Definition. It looks like the index layer has a Page Definition, set to show the features not matching the current page, with a transparent grey fill. You can't set a Page Definition on the index layer itself, so you must load a second copy of the index layer and filter that.

KatyW
by
New Contributor III

So would that entail having a second data frame with all of my layers and then doing a page definition?  How do I even do a page definition?

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

No, just add a second copy of the index layer.

Once you set up your data driven pages, you can access Page Definition in the layer property's Definition Query tab (on every layer except the index layer).

Using Page Definition Queries—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Try this:

1. create a map book with your polygon feature class
  2. Copy the feature class and paste it into the map you will now have two copies of the same feature class in your TOC
  3. Turn off the original feature class
  4. In the properties dialog box of your second feature class go to your display tab and set your transparency
  5. Go to the definition query tab and  click page definition check enable select the page name field then select the radio button "Don't Match

These steps should give you the desired result

KatyW
by
New Contributor III

Thank you guys for helping me, I always appreciate the time you take to answer these questions!  You are the unsung hero's in my workplace!