ArcGIS Legend: how to edit spacing between items and frame?

Jump to solution
08-04-2015 11:09 AM
TobyJacobs1
New Contributor II

There's got to be a way to do this other than converting everything to graphics. What I would like to do is change the space between the frame/border and the top, left, right, and bottom of the title and items. Basically, I want to increase the border offset but have the legend background come with it.

I know that I can change all of the gaps within the legend (Properties --> Layout --> title gap, item gap, etc...), but I would really like to make it so that symbols and titles aren't totally flush with the border. I know it's simple enough to convert to graphics, but I want to keep all of the legend functionality til I'm done.

Any tricks to make this happen? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Under Legend Properties > Frame, you can control the Gap X and Gap Y between the border and the legend items.  Positive values move the border outwards, negative values move the border inwards.  Additionally, if you have a background for the legend, extend the gap there as well, so there is no gap in the background coloring.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Under Legend Properties > Frame, you can control the Gap X and Gap Y between the border and the legend items.  Positive values move the border outwards, negative values move the border inwards.  Additionally, if you have a background for the legend, extend the gap there as well, so there is no gap in the background coloring.

TobyJacobs1
New Contributor II

Ah, I see. I had tried the border expansion but didn't see that you could also do it with the background. Thanks!

0 Kudos