Straight lines in ArcMap document when export to EPS/ AI format

08-31-2015 11:23 AM
a_bayard
New Contributor II

Hello All,

I need to export high resolution EPS and/or AI files from ArcMap (300 to 600 dpi).  Unfortunately I'm finding that there are straight lines appearing in what may be more complex vector sections of the map when I look at the files in Illustrator (see screen shot). These lines don't appear when I export as a PNG either directly from ArcMap or after exporting the EPS/AI file (with the lines) to a PNG from Illustrator.

The screen shot shows a section of the Alaskan coast that is a more complex line than the ESRI boundaries, for example.  Though these lines don't appear when I export to EPS/AI using the ESRI boundaries, I would prefer to use the more complex version.

Any advice on the steps/options/format I need to make this possible would be appreciated!

Thanks!

StraightLines.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Does anything turn up if you run the Check Geometry tool on the layer? I suspect some problem with the feature--slight break, bad z value, zero-length segment within the feature...

Melita

0 Kudos
a_bayard
New Contributor II

Thanks for the tip!  I tried the check geometry tool, but didn't get any errors.

I don't see any straight lining in the feature itself in Arcmap.  Also, these lines can shift location and length depending on what resolution I use to export as EPS or AI.

Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
a_bayard
New Contributor II

As an update, I found that I can use the Smooth Polygon tool which seems to help remove the white lines when exporting to EPS/AI from Arcmap.  Though the smoothing isn't too extreme, it's not ideal.  I'd like to keep the question open a little longer to see if there are any other ideas rather than selecting the "Answered" option.

0 Kudos
JohnCranfill
Esri Contributor

Using the ArcMap Advanced Settings Utility on the Print / Export tab you can try increasing both the Temporary metafile size limit and the Export polygon vertex limit. Large polygons with numerous vertices in the outline will cause them to be split during export. You can also try breaking the polygon up by editing and splitting it into smaller chunks. Use the smaller polygons for shading and the original larger polygon for the outlines.

0 Kudos
a_bayard
New Contributor II

Thanks for the information. I'll give them a try!

0 Kudos