ArcMap 10.3.1 on Windows 10

Jump to solution
08-29-2015 11:27 AM
OmarNavarro
New Contributor

When trying to open ArcMap 10.3.1, the programs fails to launch. Are there any solutions to this issue running Windows 10?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
13 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Have you looked at Desktop Administrator to verify it is seeing a valid license manager ? ​

Desktop has not been certified on win10 yet (they are testing now) but that doesn't mean it won't work (10.2.2 does for me and it isn't certified yet either).

there is a link to test your machine ArcGIS 10.3.x for Desktop system requirements—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   but I haven't tried it yet since mine did work.   However, I did have to make changes to the registry to allow my Desktop Administrator to make changes.  Re: ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 on Windows 10

0 Kudos
OmarNavarro
New Contributor

Thank you.

Looks like the machine meets the system requirements.

After changing the registry to allow Full Control under permissions, the Desktop Administrator may still not be seeing a  valid license manager (second photo).

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Does the license manager have the proper authorization numbers activated for 10.3.x?​  by the way, I was assuming it was a concurrent license (since I'm more familiar) but I'm starting to think thus is a single use license?  If single user, have you authorized the software?  

IF it is concurrent user license manager, that software needs to be updated before it is valid for 10.3.x (I can't remerbeer right now if there was an upgrade between 10.3.0 and 10.3.1)

0 Kudos
OmarNavarro
New Contributor

The same issue occurs when trying to run as administrator.

Yes, the authorization codes have been activated for this single license (second screen shot).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you try to run it as administrator?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I could successfully run ArcGIS 10.3 for Desktop on Windows 10. You could try changing the properties of the ArcMap.exe to run it in compatibility mode of Windows 8/8.1.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Domenico, that is the scoop...but I have been using it with no problems...some have had issues, but I have had none with local install of a single user Advanced edition with all the extensions with locally stored data.  I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10.  The machine was new and ArcGIS was the first application installed after the operating system and anti-virus, if that narrows issues down for others.  I don't pay much attention to when software gets certified by an organization...my work, took many years to migrate from XP to Windows 7. 

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

There is a knowledge base Tech arcticel on this topic: 45362 - Is Windows 10 certified with Esri's ArcGIS products?

Basically it states:

Esri is currently testing Windows 10 with ArcGIS 10.3.x for Desktop and with our current development version.

Customers should not install Windows 10 for use with ArcGIS 10.3.x Desktop at this time until testing and certification is complete.

We anticipate fully supporting Windows 10 at ArcGIS 10.4 for Desktop and ArcGIS Pro 1.2, which are scheduled for release in early Q1 2016.

I installed Windows 10 anyway a few weeks ago and haven't had much problems running 10.3. With Pro on the other hand I faced some problems with my graphics card and reinstalled Pro it and it works.