ArcGIS Runtime Quartz for Java

Jump to solution
09-01-2015 02:24 AM
nita14
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Esri,

I have some fundamental questions regarding ArcGIS Runtime Quartz Beta functional releases:

- Will swing map control be available in the final release?

- What types of local raster and vector data will be supported? According to Android demo from 2015 DevSummit, a MosaicDataset and the on-the-fly raster functions will be supported too.

- Will NITF and GeoTIFF files be supported without the associated WORLD file?

- Which layer types will support on-the-fly projection (in case of changing the map spatial reference)?

- Will it be still Local Server? If yes, will it be 'true functional' copy of ArcGIS Server with all geoprocessing tools supported? Do you plan to add better support for local raster for geoprocessing (without necessity to uploading and getting ItemID of local data)?

- What local analysis will support GPU? Will it be Viewshed2? Any others?

- Will 3D be only available in connected mode?

- When do plan to add custom dictionary renderer for displaying <removed> and custom symbology?

- Are you going to add Full Motion Video functionality? Sadly, so far it is only available in ArcGIS for Desktop.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricBader

Hi Adam.

Great questions!

• While it is possible that the Swing map will be there at Quartz final, the emphasis of this release will be on the JavaFX Map Control. The entire toolkit will be JavaFX-based as well. However, if someone needs the Swing-based kit, the source will be made available. Can you tell us, when are you planning to move to JavaFX from Swing?

• All of the same raster types supported in Android 10.2.6 and Java 10.2.4 will be supported at Quartz, including Mosaics and rasters from within the Geopackage, and on-the-fly raster functions will also be there. As for supported vector layers: Vector tiles, feature layers from local Geodatabases and FeatureServices, local shapefiles, local Geopackage vector layers, and vectors from local KML files (as well as services)…I may be missing some. Stay tuned. I should mention, at some point you’ll be able to extend the Runtime core to support your own custom data sources.

• I believe your NITF and GeoTIFFs will need their world files. Sorry if that is a problem.

• Map Image Layers and Feature Layers (local and connected) will be able to be re-projected to the Map’s current spatial reference.

• Yes, the Local Server will still be supported. It will also be an optional component of the Runtime SDK, with its own installer. Today you get it, whether you need it or not! Another note about the Local Server: much of its capabilities are being migrated into the Core Runtime, where these capabilities make sense. At Quartz, its primary function will be refined to focus mainly on loading and executing Geoprocessing tools. The Local Server remains an extremely important and strategic piece to the Runtime in this role, actually, and we will include a few more interesting tools (not all that ArcGIS for Server provides) for productivity and analysis at Quartz. Yes, it’s raster processing capabilities will remain strong.

• As far as GPU processing goes, look for Viewshed and Line of Sight to start with. The list may grow over time. That is the plan.

• 3D visualization and analysis will be supported in both connected AND disconnected environments.

• Custom symbol dictionaries will be supported at Quartz

• Full Motion Video may not make Quartz Final, unfortunately. The Dashboard and Desktop products have fantastic solutions for FMV, but this is still a gap in what the Runtime can do.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
EricBader

Hi Adam.

Great questions!

• While it is possible that the Swing map will be there at Quartz final, the emphasis of this release will be on the JavaFX Map Control. The entire toolkit will be JavaFX-based as well. However, if someone needs the Swing-based kit, the source will be made available. Can you tell us, when are you planning to move to JavaFX from Swing?

• All of the same raster types supported in Android 10.2.6 and Java 10.2.4 will be supported at Quartz, including Mosaics and rasters from within the Geopackage, and on-the-fly raster functions will also be there. As for supported vector layers: Vector tiles, feature layers from local Geodatabases and FeatureServices, local shapefiles, local Geopackage vector layers, and vectors from local KML files (as well as services)…I may be missing some. Stay tuned. I should mention, at some point you’ll be able to extend the Runtime core to support your own custom data sources.

• I believe your NITF and GeoTIFFs will need their world files. Sorry if that is a problem.

• Map Image Layers and Feature Layers (local and connected) will be able to be re-projected to the Map’s current spatial reference.

• Yes, the Local Server will still be supported. It will also be an optional component of the Runtime SDK, with its own installer. Today you get it, whether you need it or not! Another note about the Local Server: much of its capabilities are being migrated into the Core Runtime, where these capabilities make sense. At Quartz, its primary function will be refined to focus mainly on loading and executing Geoprocessing tools. The Local Server remains an extremely important and strategic piece to the Runtime in this role, actually, and we will include a few more interesting tools (not all that ArcGIS for Server provides) for productivity and analysis at Quartz. Yes, it’s raster processing capabilities will remain strong.

• As far as GPU processing goes, look for Viewshed and Line of Sight to start with. The list may grow over time. That is the plan.

• 3D visualization and analysis will be supported in both connected AND disconnected environments.

• Custom symbol dictionaries will be supported at Quartz

• Full Motion Video may not make Quartz Final, unfortunately. The Dashboard and Desktop products have fantastic solutions for FMV, but this is still a gap in what the Runtime can do.
0 Kudos
nita14
by

Thank you for the quick overview what is coming in the next year.

Regards,

Adam

0 Kudos
LukeCatania
New Contributor III

Is LocalServer going to be a part of the Beta at all or are we not going to see any of it until the official release?

0 Kudos
EricBader

Hi Luke. 

LocalServer will not have a beta, and will be a part of the released product in November. LocalServer at the November release will be compatible with ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1. ONLY.

When ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 comes out in December, MPKs, GPKs, Runtime Content from Desktop 10.5 will NOT be compatible with Runtime 100.0. This compatibility will come next year with Update 1.

I Just want to make that understood up-front. I would very much like to know if this is going to be a serious issue for anyone.

This is expected, since 10.5 Desktop will not be finished before Runtime 100.0 needs to certify LocalServer. 

Thank you for the question, Luke.

0 Kudos
thomasbales
Occasional Contributor

When will update 1 for 10.5 be available. I am not super concerned about

the incompatibility issues as long as I know the update time line. Thanks

for the information.

Tom

Thomas Bales

GIS System Architect

Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc.

3900 Arrowhead Drive

Hamel, Minnesota 55340

Cell: 612-875-3154

0 Kudos
EricBader

Hi Tom.

Good question. Update 1 is planned for the first half (hopefully) of 2017.  Quartz Final is releasing in November.

0 Kudos
thomasbales
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.

Thomas Bales

GIS System Architect

Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc.

3900 Arrowhead Drive

Hamel, Minnesota 55340

Cell: 612-875-3154

0 Kudos
LukeCatania