Dynamic Map Content: Linking Side Panel and Map Content?

08-31-2015 05:03 PM
AdamAraza1
New Contributor II

In story map tour, if you click a point on the map the application scrolls to the corresponding content on the tour. Is there a way to create a similar functionality in the series?

Here's an example of what I'm working on: https://cupertino.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=16825cf8061c47cda19d1458647d6120

It'd be nice if a user could click a project on the map and the side accordion would scroll to the appropriate content.

Appreciate any ideas or guidance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Adam,

Great start so far! Unfortunately, it's not possible to set up behavior like you described in the Map Series app.

I'd suggest trying the Bulleted layout for your Map Series app (Settings > Layout). Since you have a lot of sections, and the titles of many of them are long, I think bullets might give your app a cleaner look.

2015-08-31 at 8.57.26 PM.JPG

Another option you could try is the Story Map Shortlist app. It does have the interaction between the map and the descriptions you are looking for (like Map Tour). The downside with Shortlist is currently you have to download the code for it and host it yourself. We are working on adding Shortlist as a hosted app in ArcGIS Online sometime in the first half of next year.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

In addition to Owen comment, you may like a tip on Map Series GitHub page that explain how you can customize the application to change the behavior of a map and allow a click on a map Feature to direct the user to a certain tab/item/bullet in the story: Esri/map-series-storytelling-template-js · GitHub . Some development skills are required, there is some more information in this thread Map point section links · Issue #23 · Esri/map-journal-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

0 Kudos