WebAppBuilder Development poor performance with nodejs.

Jump to solution
09-01-2015 03:28 AM
BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

Hi.

This is making the development very time consuming cause always the machine running the webbuilder dev edition is almost out of CPU resources.

(I also tried this on another machine and it did the same).

Am i the only one to have this issue.

Please have a look at the attachment showing the details.

If there any workaround to fix this issue for this node-javascript-js-server thing ?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

Surprisingly running the WebAppbuilder on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine solved the CPU issue. (3-15%max)

But more surprisingly that machine was running as a Virtual Box Machine inside my Windows 7 machine which was having issues.

It seems that Node.js likes the VMs better.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bledar,

I run the full version of NodeJS on my dev machine as mentioned in the Getting Started:

1. Because Web AppBuilder runs on top of Node.js, you must have Node.js installed on your computer. The download package contains the Windows version of node.js. 
    • If you are on a Windows platform, you can follow the steps in the next section to start Web AppBuilder.
    • If you are on a platform other than Windows, such as Mac or Linux, you need to install Node.js specifically on your platform first. In case you already have Node.js installed, make sure its version is 0.10.0 and later.

and not the node_x64.exe that comes in the server folder of WAB.

I have never experienced excessive CPU usage.

Example.jpg

BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert.

I have tried installing the Node.js first, but i experienced the same thing.

Will retry the steps from the beginning.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ZeZhengLi
Esri Contributor

Hi Bledar,

I think you can re-install the Node.js and run a simple server to test whether this is an issue of Node.js.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MarkYerington
Occasional Contributor III

I am not seeing the cpu usage, but I am seeing really bad performance.  This also just happened as i have been using Developers Edition all the way through since beta.  Last Friday I started having issues when trying to fire up web app builder dev edition on my development machine.  Things that use to open in seconds are now taking minutes and I cannot open an application to edit it through web app builder.  The computer comes to a halt and nothing else can take place while it is running.  I have tried to reinstall node.js and no enhanced speeds.  It is currently not usable and don't know where to start troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
DanielMast
Esri Contributor

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem but only with Web AppBuilder 2.0 Developer version. The CPU on my dev environment was maxed out (90-100%) anytime I had any apps open from the WAB and everything on the computer ran very slowly. I also installed node.js manually and copied the .exe into the server folder of my WAB2.0 directory and changed the name to node_x64.exe which is what the WAB looks for when it starts. Now the CPU usage is much better than before (30-60% depending on how many apps are running, and especially with 3D) but still generally higher than with older versions of the WAB.

Just as info in case anyone else has the same problem.

Best regards

BledarBirbo1
Occasional Contributor

The Web App Builder 2.0 Developer edition is useless period.

No matter what i do the CPU goes to 100%.

I cannot blame ESRI, but the drunk man who decided to use JAVASCRIPT code for services. Like there weren't enough languages around to build services, we had to use javascript.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bledar,

Sorry that you are one the less than a handful that I have heard of having this issue. Your options are use the AGOL version of WAB, or try using it on a different computer.

0 Kudos
SowjanyaSunkara3
New Contributor III

I looking to download Webappbuilder v1.3 but the main page only has the latest version. Is it not available anymore?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Soqjanya,

Go to this link SDK Downloads | ArcGIS for Developers  find the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS and there will be a Version 2.0 link with a little drop down arrow next to it that is what you click to get the older versions