Search Bar problem in Portal

Jump to solution
09-04-2015 10:54 AM
MichaelBarzizza
New Contributor II

Does anyone know why the Search Bar on the Map page of an organization's portal site would not work? My company's portal site is rather new and while exploring it today I tried to search for a city using the search bar, expecting the map to zoom to the location and present a call-out pop-up, but all I got was an error message telling me that the location could not be found. Any insight into this, or if someone knows a resource I could look at regarding this, would be appreciated. Thank you all.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Did you try using both geocoders when you searched for the city name?  You should be able to click in the search bar and select which geocoder to use.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Michael,

If you are an Administrator in your Portal, you can check to see what locator the Portal Organization is using by going to My Organization > Edit Settings > Utility Services.  Your Portal instance may be using a custom locator.

0 Kudos
MichaelBarzizza
New Contributor II

I checked the geocoders and the ones that are used with the portal are US Street and Esri World Geocoder. Those should work, shouldn't they? Is there some configuration setting that I'm missing?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Did you try using both geocoders when you searched for the city name?  You should be able to click in the search bar and select which geocoder to use.

0 Kudos
MichaelBarzizza
New Contributor II

Excellent! Thank you. I am new to this and learning more every day. I found the problem. I did not know that I could toggle between the two locators in the search bar. I was able to see the differences in both. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the issue with a particular StringName aka CityName, or it's throwing error for any place-name?

Think Location
0 Kudos
MichaelBarzizza
New Contributor II

It is returning that the location can not be found for specific addresses as well as cities.

0 Kudos