ArcGIS 10 Mobile Cache with ArcGIS Server 10.3.1

Jump to solution
09-04-2015 03:45 PM
GovindarajanThillaividankan
New Contributor II

Hello

Statement

Will a mobile application developed on 10.2.1 compatible with a mobile cache created on ArcGIS 10 and perform synchronization with ArcGIS Server 10.3.1?

Description

We are currently making use of ArcGIS Mobile Cache developed using ArcGIS 10 desktop which in turn is copied to the mobile field notebooks (with Windows 7 Ent edition and NOT smartphones or tablets) . These field notebooks have a customized application of ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Mobile (10 build 2525 ) This is being used by our contractors to display and query the asset maps of our utility infrastructure. This synchronizes with a map service running on ArcGIS Server 10.

We intend to migrate this application to the recent version of ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2.1 that would work with a service running on ArcGIS Server 10.3.1.

We intend to remotely deploy the application using LANDesk solution i.e deploy the new application on 10.2.1 on mobile devices with 10 cache.

What is not clear to me is would the upgraded application on 10.2.1 be able to work with the mobile cache created using 10?

Can anyone guide me in this regard?

Regards

Govindarajan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III

Hola Govindarajan,

The way I understand it from a support aspect, from within Support Services. our developers created ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2.1 as you mentioned, to work together with the release of 10.3x (Desktop & ArcGIS Server). In past cases and testing with various product version combinations, we have seen it not work where upgrading (Desktop & ArcGIS Server) to 10.2.1 with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.0.5. The architecture for ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.0.5 had different gp tools, then what is seen within ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.1.1, 10.2 or 10.2.1. So, I would not suggest mixing the various version combinations. I hope this helps in your projects and future projects, but if you ever have further questions. Please continue to post them here or reach out to me, from within Support Services.

Gracias, Govindarajan!

Juan

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JuanLuera

Hola Govindarajan,

The way I understand it from a support aspect, from within Support Services. our developers created ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2.1 as you mentioned, to work together with the release of 10.3x (Desktop & ArcGIS Server). In past cases and testing with various product version combinations, we have seen it not work where upgrading (Desktop & ArcGIS Server) to 10.2.1 with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.0.5. The architecture for ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.0.5 had different gp tools, then what is seen within ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.1.1, 10.2 or 10.2.1. So, I would not suggest mixing the various version combinations. I hope this helps in your projects and future projects, but if you ever have further questions. Please continue to post them here or reach out to me, from within Support Services.

Gracias, Govindarajan!

Juan

GovindarajanThillaividankan
New Contributor II

Hola Juan.

Thanks for sharing your experience on this issue with me.

I came to know that if we apply SP2 and above to ArcGIS Server 10 then it should be able to work with the Geodatabase on 10.2.1. So i am hoping that this route would work (Fingers crossed )

Thanks again.

Govindarajan

0 Kudos
JuanLuera

Govindarajan,

Gracias for the updated information. We have seen some customers make some combinations of these products work for their projects. I just like to always suggest to my customers, to align the products together as they are released. This typically will work the best, since this is how the developers have released the various product versions. I do understand when it is not always possibly to upgrade all of the products at the same time, weather it is budget, IT, etc.

Again Good Luck!

Keep in touch if you need anything else.

Govindarajan!

Juan

JohnFannon

Hi

I helped deliver a 10.2.1 ArcGIS Mobile solution last year that used mobile caches created using the v10 geoprocessing tools (and via the SDK), so this does work. These were syncing with a v10.0.3 geodatabase via server 10.0.3.

John

0 Kudos