Combine Layers

Jump to solution
09-24-2015 07:33 AM
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

I have 3 different stream layers for a project area. There is no real common data. Some of the streams are miss named or don't have one.

The 1st layer is the most accurate in location. I want to keep the location of this layer.

This layer does not have many breaks. I need to break it up to match the other two.

The 2nd is ODF Stream class layer. I want the attribute from this layer and I want to add it to the first.

This layer gets broken up when the stream changes from Large to med to small.

The 3rd layer is Fish Distribution. I want the attribute from this layer and I want to add it to the first.

This layer gets broken up when the stream changes fish dist.

The problem I am running into is that they don't follow the same path very well.

They also do not have the same length in line segments.

Any suggestions on how to combine them?

I have tried Append and Spatial Join.

At this point the only option I see is to hand enter the data.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For that? By hand...you would have been done in less time than finding a non-editing solution.  Don't be adverse to choosing the most obvious solution.  If you have many to do, then there is a flaw in the data aquisition stream.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I don't see a quick and easy solution, but one option is to use Topology to make the linework coincident and then work from there.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

- Set a Cluster Tolerance that will allow a sufficient distance that nearby linework that should overlap will be captured.

- Set the layer with the greatest accuracy as Rank 1 and the others as a much higher value.  This way that less accurate (Rank >1) linework will move to the Rank 1.

EDIT - fixed some typos.

Chris Donohue, GISP

WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Another option may be to create points from your less accurate lines and then snap them to your accurate lines. You may have to create some extra line segments from your accurate line.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For that? By hand...you would have been done in less time than finding a non-editing solution.  Don't be adverse to choosing the most obvious solution.  If you have many to do, then there is a flaw in the data aquisition stream.

mettegreve
New Contributor III

I would try a combination of converting one stream layer to points and then using the Near tool to transfer attributes.

/Mette