How to update the license propely?

Jump to solution
09-27-2015 03:59 AM
DominikSchlarmann
Occasional Contributor

Dear all,

The question might look a little bit self-explaining, but I had some difficulties last year, so I want to ask for some "best practices" before I have to struggle with the same problems again.

My environment is the following:

• Windows Server 2012
  • ArcGIS Server 10.3.1
  • GeoEvent Processor 10.3.1
  • Enterprise Geodatabase (postgreSQL) on the same machine as ArcGIS Server/GeoEvent Extension

The current licenses will expire on the 29th of September, but I have already a new license-file for the next year.

For the license-update process, I would perform the following steps:

Using the license-file and the ArcGIS Administrator I'll authorize my ArcGIS Server instance including the GeoEvent Processor.

Now, coming to the point, which ended in some problems last year, what I have to do with my enterprise geodatabase? If I remember correctly, I have to inject the license file in my database, too?! Is this done automatically?

And what's about my GeoDatabase-Connection from my personal computer to the enterprise geodatabase? Do I have to establish a new connection using a "new generated" keycodes file?

Would be great to get some feedback!

All the best,

Dominik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DominikSchlarmann
Occasional Contributor

As my ArcGIS Server license expired last night, I have performed the license update. Luckily everything is working again. Find below the steps, which were necessary to get my ArcGIS Server and my Enterprise Geodatabase back to normal performance.

1. Update your ArcGIS Server license (and extensions) by double-clicking on the license file, which will start the Software-Authorization wizard. Optionally you can start the Software-Authorization Wizard and manually by navigating to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\, start the SoftwareAuthorization.exe and browse to your new license file.
  2. Follow the needed steps (like providing contact information, selecting the extension, you want to authorize)
  3. Wait for the success-message.
  4. Restart your Server (maybe it is sufficient to start/stop/restart the ArcGIS Server process via services.msc)
  5. Start ArcCatalog and use the DataBase-connection, which was used to create your Enterprise Geodatabase (in my case it was the sde-user, which is created by default). Double-Click the DataBase-Connection.
  6. Using the opened wizard, browse to the keycodes-file, which will contain the updated license-information. The keycodes-file is located in the following location:
    C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.3\sysgen Update license for enterprise geodatabase
  7. Wait some seconds and voilà: License-Update should be completed.
  8. Restart the ArcGIS-Server Services (for instance using the ArcGIS-Server Manager), which are based on or use your Enterprise Geodatabase.

As my concern was quite urgent, I have also posted my question at gis.stackexchange.com. Find the question here. For completeness I have also provided the answer here.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DominikSchlarmann
Occasional Contributor

As my ArcGIS Server license expired last night, I have performed the license update. Luckily everything is working again. Find below the steps, which were necessary to get my ArcGIS Server and my Enterprise Geodatabase back to normal performance.

1. Update your ArcGIS Server license (and extensions) by double-clicking on the license file, which will start the Software-Authorization wizard. Optionally you can start the Software-Authorization Wizard and manually by navigating to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\, start the SoftwareAuthorization.exe and browse to your new license file.
  2. Follow the needed steps (like providing contact information, selecting the extension, you want to authorize)
  3. Wait for the success-message.
  4. Restart your Server (maybe it is sufficient to start/stop/restart the ArcGIS Server process via services.msc)
  5. Start ArcCatalog and use the DataBase-connection, which was used to create your Enterprise Geodatabase (in my case it was the sde-user, which is created by default). Double-Click the DataBase-Connection.
  6. Using the opened wizard, browse to the keycodes-file, which will contain the updated license-information. The keycodes-file is located in the following location:
    C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.3\sysgen Update license for enterprise geodatabase
  7. Wait some seconds and voilà: License-Update should be completed.
  8. Restart the ArcGIS-Server Services (for instance using the ArcGIS-Server Manager), which are based on or use your Enterprise Geodatabase.

As my concern was quite urgent, I have also posted my question at gis.stackexchange.com. Find the question here. For completeness I have also provided the answer here.