No Find and Replace tool in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
10-06-2015 06:06 AM
deleted-user-eL1mKkp8gJc9
New Contributor III

I don't see a tool to find and replace text in the attribute table of ArcGIS Pro

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jill_Saligoe-Simmel
Esri Regular Contributor

Update: the Find and Replace tool is available in ArcGIS Pro Version 2.5. 

View solution in original post

23 Replies
deleted-user-ZhHMF2V6QPku
New Contributor

I also have this question, can the find and replace tool be found anywhere when looking at attribute table records? Thank you

0 Kudos
LR
by
Occasional Contributor III

I don't think there is one. If you want to replace text, pick your attribute, click Calculate, type in the first box:

replace(!YOURFIELDNAME!)

and in the "Code Block" box:

import re
def replace(val):
 return re.sub ('OLDVALUE', 'NEWVALUE', val)

..or just stick with ArcMap.

deleted-user-ZhHMF2V6QPku
New Contributor

Hello,

Thank you, I think I will be going back to ArcMap. I keep trying with Pro

but they still need a bit more time. Appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Alvaro

Alvaro Campomanes

GIS Technician I

Protected Resources Division

NOAA Fisheries West Coast Region

U.S. Department of Commerce

503-231-2377

alvaro.campomanes@noaa.gov <shanna.dunn@noaa.gov>

Contractor with Ocean Associates, Inc.

www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Alvaro and StephenSmithAOT,

I'd encourage you to please post this as an idea in the ArcGIS Ideas‌ space.  See Submitting a New Idea‌ if you're not familiar with the process.  Ideas allow the community to vote and share the ways that they use this functionality.  In this case, you and others will be able to share why the Find and Replace functionality is important to your daily workflows, and why not having it in Pro is keeping you from using Pro (which sounds like the case for you).

Thank you!

JakeKrall

@@esri My 2 red cents worth:  So is this the new norm for re-writing the core software?  We, as user, have to tell you every little feature we're missing in Pro that is in Arcmap now and we use daily, just so we can get it added back?  What a way to do business.  Why don't you make it work like the current version we're used to using then build on that?  And you wonder why we get so frustrated at change.  Way to go esri...  Not happy with this way of thinking at all.

This was also the case where we lost "Spatial Join" functionality being changed from Arcview 3.x, where a spatial join could be placed using the "shape" fields of 2 feature classes without creating new output, we can no longer do!  Another, is the "Select Path" in the coverage days where you could select 2 line segments and it would find the shortest path between them, where did that go?  So, why do we keep losing legacy good useful tools in each new release?  Please explain... Or just add 'em back.

Thank you very much!

ThomasGersthofer1
New Contributor

This was very useful. It works. thank you!!!

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Please go to https://community.esri.com/ideas/13295‌ and up vote that Idea if this functionality is important to you!

Kenny_Ratliff
New Contributor III

Over the weekend I spent a considerable amount of time trying to use the code block above.  Very frustrating when it doesn't work.  I don't appreciate Esri forcing users to become Python scripting gurus.  There is NO reason the same SIMPLE tool found in ArcMap shouldn't have been part of first release of ArcGIS Pro.  Especially if they are taking Catalog away as a separate interface to work with data.  

LR
by

I put the script in a model, see if it works. You should be able to just pick the layer and field you want to change. Text has to be in quotation marks. Reopen the table to see the change.