Copying colours from lines to points

Jump to solution
10-07-2015 03:49 PM
MikeLouwrens
Occasional Contributor III

I have two related layers in my map, one a line layer the other a point layer.  Both layers have a field that holds the same info, referring to zones in the city. 

I'd like to symbolise my layers based on the zone, using different colours for each zone, which is fine, but I want those same colours for each zone on both layers.  e.g. if "Zone 1" on the line layer is coloured Red, I want "Zone 1" on the point layer to also be Red.

I had an old arcscript years ago that worked in version 9.x that allowed me to copy the colours from one layer to another, but I can't find it anymore.

Does anyone have a tool/add-in/script that will help me do this?

Thanks,
Mike.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeLouwrens

Thanks Dan,

Yes, the layer file option (and importing from one) works fine with the same geometry type, but not between different geometry types.

I did manage to find the script I had seen before.  I have updated it slightly to make it work in the more recent versions of ArcMap and created an Add-In.  Seems to work OK

EDIT: I have attached the Add-In here if anyone wants it.  Original code wasn't mine - credit to Tim Whiteaker for his answer to Import colors.

Cheers,

Mike.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would suggest using a layer file (lyr) but they are geometry specific and can't be intermixed

Setting output symbology in scripts—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

I don't know if map styles will help to at least standardize your workflow

Managing style contents—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

The can be defined, modified and saved.  

MikeLouwrens

Thanks Dan,

Yes, the layer file option (and importing from one) works fine with the same geometry type, but not between different geometry types.

I did manage to find the script I had seen before.  I have updated it slightly to make it work in the more recent versions of ArcMap and created an Add-In.  Seems to work OK

EDIT: I have attached the Add-In here if anyone wants it.  Original code wasn't mine - credit to Tim Whiteaker for his answer to Import colors.

Cheers,

Mike.