Identifying AGOL map features after an update to the map service....

10-09-2015 07:15 AM
RichHammond
New Contributor

We are just about to implement our new AGOL based mapping application and I keep running into this issue. We have a dedicated server running ArcGIS Server 10.3. The MXD document we are publishing resides there and this service gets loaded into AGOL as a map image layer. This map image layer is included in our web map. I spent a LOT of time configuring the attributes for each of the layers in this web map. After I was done we decided to add some more layers to the original MXD. We updated the map service on our server by overwriting it. The map image layer on AGOL shows all the new layers we added via the REST endpoint. When I reopen the web map it also shows all the new layers that were added (yea!), but when I go to click on a feature, the resulting popup window shows the attributes for the old layer that was originally in that spot within the Table of Content order (boo!). The only way I have found to fix this is to delete the entire image layer from my map, reimport it, and reconfigure all the attributes again (immense boo!).

So, it just seems that the AGOL web map isn't capable of reordering the layerIDs based on the new stuff that has gotten added in. Does anybody know a way to make it do this? I can't imagine that ESRI wouldn't allow for the addition of new data without having to reconfigure every single data layer in your web map.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffSegal1
New Contributor II

Hi RIch,

ArcGIS Online Assistant could help with this.

https://ago-assistant.esri.com

Use: I want to ... -> Update the URLs of Services in a Web Map

Paste in the updated feature services URL to the layer and click update.

This will save you from re configuring the layers of the web map.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

0 Kudos
JasonSmith6
New Contributor III

Rich,

I'm having the exact same problem and have yet to find a solution.  Did Jeff's suggestion work for you?  Cause everytime I overwrite my existing map service after adding a layer or rearranging them in ArcMap MXD, I have the same problem. The attributes previously assigned to certain layers gets mixed up with other layers.  If you've found a way to fix this, please let me know!  Otherwise, I hope ESRI might chime in and offer some advice.

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos