danbecker
Occasional Contributor III

server 10.3.1

Collector 10.3.5

services added as proxy items to AGOL; credentials NOT stored in service item

AGOL hosted feature service for location tracking

webmap is downloaded to Collector; used in offline mode

related tables are edited in the field

Wifi sync, Collector routinely displays: "Sync Error: File opened that is not a database file"

Good part is that the data appears to sync OK when looking at the source SDE geodatabase.

This seems to only happen using the latest iOS hardware/software.

Older iPad2 with Collector 10.3.5 does not display the error that I'm aware of.

Anyone else have this problem, any workarounds?

thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Could you set server logging level to debug and see if you can spot any errors reported back when you sync?

0 Kudos
danbecker

iPhone 6s / iOS 9 just reported a similar error, unable to download: map was not a database file. This time it was during an attempted webmap download for offline use. Server log level was set to "FINE", I did not see any errors in server log.

I just set server to log level: "DEBUG". After the field crew member attempts another download tonight, I'll post the log if I see anything.

Def. something going on with new 6s hardware. These 2 variants of "not a database file" are encountered during almost every sync and map download. This is not the case when working with older apple hardware. In all cases, the same webmap, feature services, AGOL items are used by all hardware; pretty much narrows it down to individual hardware or network/internet connections.

Edit 11/10/2015:

I stand corrected; I just received the same error when downloading the same webmap using an iPad2. unable to download: map was not a database file.

Server 10.3.1, the feature service contains 2 relationship classes; Collector can edit related data. I got the same error 2 times during attempted downloads.

1. open map in online mode, if prompted to sign into the secured feature service do so. This is necessary because you CANNOT store feature service credentials in AGOL item. This causes an error when editing related records; this bug was introduced in version 10.3.4, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Go back to the maps screen

3. attempt to download the webmap. If you get error unable to download: map was not a database file  attempt again. You will likely get the same error

4. Close Collector on the iPad, (double click home button, then swipe from bottom-to-top).

5. Re-launch Collector, you will likely be auto-signed in. Repeat steps 1-3. This time the webmap will successfully download.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

The issue about storing feature service credentials in AGOL is fixed with BUG-000087792.

I would like to have more info with DEBUG log level.

0 Kudos
danbecker

Here's the thread related to the storing credentials with AGOL service item:

related tables and offline editing

From what I've observed the above issue is only when related tables are used.

I can't search for bug-000087792; support site appears to be down.

We continued to receive "not a database file" error several times last night during attempts to download a webmap. Please PM and I will send logs; nothing looks out of the ordinary.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

You are right. We have another bug with storing credentials.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3

Any update on this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MuhammadAlmas2
New Contributor II

I am also having same issue. Collector shows error message during map download for offline use "File Opened that is not a database file". My collector app version is 10.4, and ArcGIS Server is at 10.3.1

Has anyne solved this issue ??

Thanks,

Muhammad Almas

0 Kudos