GIS data and MSAG

11-09-2015 06:29 AM
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Hey everybody,

Since NextGen 911 will result in the MSAG disappearing and being replaced by GIS data, I was wondering if anybody has a model or process in place that compares the MSAG and the GIS data?

Do you use 3rd party programs, if so which ones?

Tim

Tags (2)
20 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I created an MSAG from the Road Centerline file.  I'll see if I can recreate the exact steps or build a model this week.  Here is the gist of the process I used.

1. Create a unique key field such as Full Road Name + ESN

2. Dissolve the Road Centerline based on the Unique Key

3. Create High and Low fields

4. Populate High fields from the To Fields.

5. Populate the Low fields from the From Fields.

6. Create the Unique Key field in the MSAG

7. Join the two together

8. Use a select by attribute query to find all MSAG records that fall outside the Road Centerline ranges and vice versa.

-Steven

0 Kudos
JamesRichie
New Contributor

Hey Steven,

Did you ever iron out a way to do this?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey James, I switched jobs not too long after that post and kind of forgot about it.  I don't have access to an MSAG of Street Centerline file any more.  I would definitely be willing to see what I could come up with if I had some test data to work with.  I'll see if I can find anything online.

I'll try to get something up here in the next couple weeks.

-Steven

0 Kudos
JamesRichie
New Contributor

That would be awesome. I was going to try to program it in PHP but found that is was extremely cumbersome and that GIS has a way to do it. I'm not a GIS person so I'm trying to learn the tool set to accomplish my task so anything you find will be a huge help!

Thanks in advance,

-James

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I think what Steven mentioned is a solid approach.  As I recall a company named GeoComm has a product.  What makes me laugh is their attitude is the MSAG is the be-all end-all and the GIS data needs to be reconciled to it.  Given that there is no spatial component to the msag, and it isn't maintained as regularly  or as rigorously as the gis Streets data (at least for the two psaps I work for), I have argued that we just accept the GIS data as the de-facto standard.  Ooooo-boy, what a s**t storm I started with that....

That should just about do it....
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

That's funny, because in our County we have GeoComm mapping in our PSAP's. I knew about their software but I thought I might be able to do it at no cost

I agree that if both GIS and MSAG are maintained at the same level, then GIS is a lot more important (that is why there will be next gen 911).

IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I was just looking and was surprised GeoNET does not have a group for addressing.  Perhaps that is something a few of you who work with addressing could put together, much easier then me going over all posts I know of to find the right people to tag to answer such questions. 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Check your inbox for an invitation....

That should just about do it....