11-11-2015 06:49 PM
marius
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

Is there a way to make these files smaller:

380M  Pods/ArcGIS-Runtime-SDK-iOS/ArcGIS.framework/Versions/Current/ArcGIS

112M  Pods/ArcGIS-Runtime-SDK-iOS/file.zip

The file.zip also seem to contain the file ArcGIS.framework/Versions/Current/ArcGIS of size 398M.

Ideally, they should be smaller than 50M.

Thank you,

Marius

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Not sure about reducing size - but we check the podfile into the repo on our projects, but not the pods themselves.  That way a dev can easily spin up a project by doing a pod install, but we are not loading up our repos with tons of copies of the same libraries (we have a lot of projects).

0 Kudos
marius
by
New Contributor III

I've heard this suggestion before, but I'm not so keen to use it.

First, because you only need to build the pods once (per Xcode/SDK change, that is), I prefer to check them all in. This approach does not work for node.js or other platforms, where the binary packages support a wide range of platforms.

Every time you switch branches, you have to run pod install/update, and wait for the pods to download. That's fine if you're having a proper internet connection, but does not work that well on ADSL or cell phone tethering (5GB data/month).

Also, because of the large file sizes, even if you add the ArcGIS.framework to your project, you still can't commit it to GitHub.

Currently, I've installed the SDK in ~/Library and will use this setup until the files size get to a reasonable value (or GitHub increases the file limit to 200M).

0 Kudos
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

CocoaPods does keep a local cache of downlaods - so you aren't downloading everything each time you do a pod install.

KristofferStenersen
Occasional Contributor

(..Or choose another provider for the code that does not have any 200M limit;)

0 Kudos
marius
by
New Contributor III

Good idea Kristoffer, Mapbox is less then 50M

0 Kudos
KristofferStenersen
Occasional Contributor

Sure, or use something else than Github (that does not have file-size og repo-size limits).

0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor

The file.zip is the original download that cocoapods fetches when you install the pod. It contains ArcGIS library and has to be unzipped so thats why you end up with both those files on disk.

We try to keep the ArcGIS library as compact as possible, but it is going to get bigger as we add more capabilities in future releases. We're also starting to bitcode-enable the library and that causes the size to significantly increase.

0 Kudos