Remove basemap saved by another user?

11-10-2015 09:37 AM
LindaMcCafferty
New Contributor II

Is there a way to remove a basemap that was saved on the iPad by another user?  What's happening is that if someone saves a map on the device and uses one of the basemaps for the background, that basemap can not be removed because it's being "Used by another user".   This is a problem if I then want to update the basemap because I am unable to remove it first. 

thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Since the basemap is used by other users, we don't recommend to remove it. We don't want to have a map without basemap. Usually you need to ask the user to remove it first.

LindaMcCafferty
New Contributor II

Hello –

Thank you for the response.

The issue we are having is that if a basemap is being used by another user, we don’t have any idea who that user is to ask him/her to remove it. The iPad indicates that is being used, but no name is given. Since our iPads are used by several users, we would have no idea who to contact.

Does that make sense?

Linda McCafferty, GISP

Geospatial Services

Information Technology Bureau

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes it makes sense. If your iPad device has large memory, you can also just side load the new basemap with meaningful name. If you really need to remove it, the only way I can think of is to remove the app and install again. It will remove all the offline basemaps. But it will also remove all the offline data as well. Without those users' awareness, it is dangerous to do that.

ScottRutzmoser2
New Contributor III

We use Collector for classroom field data collection.  Over the past year the iPads have accumulated 20+ basemaps from students.  I would be really nice to clear out the memory without having to re-install.