Very Slow Refresh Using Label Tool on Draw Toolbar ArcGIS 10.3.1

11-23-2015 04:46 PM
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I have a user who for several years has been using the Label Tool from the Draw Toolbar to create label graphics that are stored in the map.  With ArcGIS 10.2 and prior versions the refresh time was fine, even when she created as many as 300 labels in the map.  After upgrading to 10.3.1 by the time she has placed only about 30 or 40 labels, the refresh time becomes so slow for selecting the graphic label, moving the label, panning the map, etc. that it is virtually unusable.  The user is quite upset, given that graphic labels never performed this badly before and nothing changed other than the installation of ArcGIS 10.3.1.

I have created a map from scratch.  I copied the layer from an older map into it, since the layer had label classes and I also added the set of essential layers she would likely use by copying them from the original map into the new map.  As long as there are very few graphic labels in the map it refreshes fine.  But once the label graphics reach 30 to 40 labels, the map refresh becomes very slow.

Has anybody else observed this behavior with 10.3.1?  Any suggestions on things to try.  She really does not want to use in map or geodatabase annotation, since she has no idea what scale she will end up using to create her maps (she gets a lot of feedback from management for changes specific to each analysis she is asked to do).

0 Kudos
0 Replies