Hi, I'm having problems with rasters in the Open Data Portal.

11-24-2015 08:41 AM
AnnaCarnson2
New Contributor

We want to push a raster basemap out through the open data portal. I've published it as an image service then referenced it on ArcGIS Online and shared it with our Open Data folder. The site does recognise it and allows for it to be downloaded in JPEG, TIFF, PNG but when I open it it's only an image with very large pixels.

Does anybody know if there is a size limit to what you can push out as imagery or is there a setting I have to use when publishing something to make the size able to be downloaded?

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks,

Anna

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanielFenton1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Anna, the best way to share basemaps is via the service itself. However, you can increase the resolution of your image exports by changing the maximum size per image request parameters mentioned here: Image service parameters—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Daniel

AnnaCarnson2
New Contributor

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your answer! How do you mean via the service itself? What I've done is create the mosaic dataset and then shared as image service directly from that. Do you think I'm better to create a map document and share it from that? I'll definitely try increasing the maximum size per image and see how I get on!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Yes via the service itself. Open data always requests the maximum image size available.

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

0 Kudos
AnnaCarnson2
New Contributor

Hi!,

Still having the same problem. The size of my original data is around 300mb. When I publish the service the service parameters say that the maximum image size per request (rows x columns) is 4100 x 15000.

When I go to Image Service properties the Columns and Rows say 4334831,5232517. I thought then I could change the image size request to this but it seems 4100 x 15000 is already the maximum. The service looks fine in the map viewer on ArcGIS online but when shared as Open Data and then downloaded on the site as a JPEG it looks like

And the download is only 900kb - not 300mb

The link to the service is

OpenData/OSNIOpenData_StreetMapsRaster (ImageServer)

any more help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
DanielFenton1

Hi Anna, you're not going to be able to get the original data from Open Data image downloads. However, each image should get sharper as you zoom in. Is that the case?

AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

I thought the point of open data was to allow people to access datasets without having to log in to arcGIS Online!

How can people download full raster datasets? I have also set the maximum image size request of my service to larger than my raster file, but the download is not full size. I think we have been extremely misled by ESRI Open Data if people cannot access datasets...!

0 Kudos