ArcGIS scale problem

11-25-2015 10:10 AM
PatrykWalaszczyk
New Contributor

I've got a problem with a layout view scale in ArcGIS. When I'm vewing a map in layout view and then print it in scale for example 1:10000, 10cm isn't 10 but 9,5. I've checked a 100% size in layout view before print and that's teh same problem 10cm scale bar is 9,5. Moreover a A4 paper format isn't 21cm as it should be but it's 20cm. I really don't know where is the problem. Can anyone explain me what is going on? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

Patryk,

Is this checked?

When I have issues printing it is because this is not checked.

PatrykWalaszczyk
New Contributor

Yes it is checked.

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I think this could be an issue of your printer not being able to print edge to edge if your dataframe is to close to the edge of the page.  Since most printers have to leave margins, there are two ways for it to compensate for this, either by scaling the image down to fit its margins(what is happening here I believe), or by cutting off some of the map with white space for the margins. 

Also I'm curious why you are printing straight out of Arc, I always export out to PDF then print, generally looks better to me and gives you better options for handling margin issues when printing.

PatrykWalaszczyk
New Contributor

I was trying export to a TIFF, then print it from Corel and the scale is still wrong. I measured a size of scale with the ruler while the map was in real 100% size, and the problem is that even that exported tiff isn't 21cm A4 format but it is 20cm.

So in my opinion it's not a problem of printer because the scale is wrong even in digital format before printing.

0 Kudos
PatrykWalaszczyk
New Contributor

When I exported tiff and then rescale it in Corel to 105% size, everything is ok instead that the picture is resized.

0 Kudos