How to export a map from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Online without ArcServer?

11-27-2015 12:31 PM
EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

How would I be able to export a map from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Online without ArcServer? I did a Map Package but this does not open in ArcGIS Online (when I click on the thumbnail, it saves it as a pkinfo file. Under the thumbnail, there are only two options: Open in ArcGIS Desktop, and Download).

Also, does it matter making all the projections of the layers the same in Desktop when my goal is to then publish it in ArcGIS Online (which uses Web Mercator Auxiliary projection)?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eninna,

A map package is used to share/ use in ArcGIS Desktop. To open in ArcGIS Online, you need to share the map as a service.

1. Create an ArcGIS Online organizational account, if not created. You could also try using a 60 days trial ArcGIS Online account with 200 credits.

ArcGIS Platform | Free Trial

2. Sign-in to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap.

3. Share the map as a service. Choose your hosted organizational account.Select feature access capability and deselect tiled option. Then analyze and publish. The service will be added to the hosted services.

Also I would suggest you to use the web mercator projection system for the data frame properties using appropriate transformation method.

Think Location
EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

Hi Jayanta,

I am stuck on this part when sharing a service. I do not know what the Server URL would be (last screenshot -- I do not know about the purpose of the link under the Server URL. I tried to insert that link but it did not work).

I am adding some screenshots of the process that I see:

1.png

2.png

3.png

server.png

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have signed-into ArcGIS Online from ArcMap, you can click on the drop-down and select "My Hosted Services <Organization_Name>", and continue publishing the map.

Think Location
EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

Jayanta Poddar

I am logged in to ArcGIS Online but I do not see the option My Hosted Services

I only see what the second screenshot shows. There are no other options in the drop down menu.

0 Kudos
EninnaLuli1
New Contributor III

Jayanta Poddar

I have a User role in my ArcGIS Online account. If I have a Publisher role, would it be easier to publish from ArcGIS Desktop without installing my own server?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, you need to have Publisher role to be able to create hosted services in ArcGIS Online.

Russ

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Eninna,

You can not publish services with User role. You need at least a Publisher role to be able to publish.

Think Location